Combat Management System Software Engineer
Irving Shipbuilding in Dartmouth, NS
COMBAT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM SOFTWARE ENGINEER
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7 or 35 Mic Mac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3A 4Y8 Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in the world. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 23 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history.
This year, we will deliver the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years. And we're just getting started. We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
The Combat Management System (CMS) Software Engineer will fulfill a key role in the Combat Management System Team. This position will be responsible for providing coordination and oversight for the development, integration, installation, test and evaluation of the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) CMS software.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborative development and review of System and Subsystem Software Design Documents, Interface Control Documents, Human-Machine Interface descriptions, User and Maintainer Manuals,
- Collaborative development and review of Test Plans and Procedures,
- Modeling and Simulation and Training solutions
- Degree in Computer Science, Electrical/Computer Engineering, Math, Physics or equivalent;
- Professional Engineer or eligibility for this qualification and.
- Post graduate qualification is desirable in an area related to Systems Engineering.
A minimum of seven years' experience in the following fields:
- Engineering on large and complex defence engineering projects;
- Knowledge on Combat Management Software
- Knowledge of Combat System Architecture;
- Design, installation, setting to work, integration and testing of Combat Management Systems, tactical data links and multi-link Systems;
- Configuration Management and Change Control;
- Coordination with multiple complex organizations; and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Experience in the following fields would be preferred:
- Engineering for Naval platforms;
- Software design, integration, validation and verification;
Design, production, test and trials on a ship construction program;
- Conducting Sea Acceptance trials; and
- Participate in the CSC IPT structure to coordinate and manage all stakeholder interests, governing standards, and CSC requirements applicable to CSC CMS, Multi-Link and Tactical Data Link systems;
- Provide engineering oversight and guidance during requirements definition, design, integration and testing for all aspects of the CSC CMS software and other associated software programs;
- Provide expertise in the development and evaluation of documentation products related to the requirements definition, design, integration, installation and test of CMS software;
- Support the coordination of scheduling, planning and conduct of CMS software activities to ensure that related program milestones are met;
- Provide accurate status reports on assigned activities to the CMS team lead;
- Provide support in evaluating software engineering change to ensure that impacts, risks and issues related to the CMS software design, integration, test and acceptance activities are understood and recorded;
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with internal (Shipyard Production, CSC Program personnel) and external stakeholders (subcontractors and Canadian government representatives); and
- Support a culture of teamwork, enthusiasm and proactive behavior within the Combat Systems team and be a role model for professional behavior.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
For further details, please contact Sarah Taylor at:
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.