Communications Capability Manager
Irving Shipbuilding in Dartmouth, NS
COMMUNICATIONS CAPABILITY MANAGER - CSC
Located at 35 Mic Mac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3A 4Y8 Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in the world. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 23 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history.
This year, we will deliver the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years. And we're just getting started. We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
The Communications Capability Manager (Comms CM) will be responsible for leading, managing and coordinating the efforts of multiple Engineering Teams engaged in the planning and executing the successful integration of the communications capability onto ship and shore-based test facilities. The Comms CM will report to the Combat System Senior Engineering Manager.
This is a permanent, full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English.
- Provide technical and programmatic oversight of all integrated communication systems related activities
- Manage the communications engineering team and any related processes and procedures
- Manage risk items relating to the communication systems capability area, including identification and risk mitigation planning, and management of risk responses
- Evaluate requirements and performance capabilities of communication systems
- Coordinate the scheduling, planning and conduct of communication systems activities in support of program milestones
- Provide subject matter expertise on the integration and test of communication systems on Naval Surface platforms
- Act as co-chair of the communication systems Working Group
- Support other Working Groups developing the operational solution for CSC
- Manage sub-contractor and Royal Canadian Navy inputs to the CSC communication systems solutions.
- Assist upper management in making sound sustainability decisions in all phases of the communication systems acquisition lifecycle
- Develop and foster client and subcontractor(s) relationships
Qualifications & Experience:
- Education Required: Bachelor's Degree in relevant engineering discipline
- Y ears of Experience Required:
- Ten plus years of experience related to working on integrated communication solutions
- Five plus years of experience working in an engineering/programmatic management role
- Experience managing subcontractor organizations to deliver on budget and schedule
- Strong communication and personal time management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in English, both orally and in writing
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience with design and construction projects involving international partnerships
- Knowledge of a shipyard production environment
- Experience with Naval systems integration and testing
- Strong technical skills and familiarity with Naval technical terminology
- Experience with certification and accreditation of Naval Systems
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Erin Sloan at:Sloan.Erin@irvingshipbuilding.com.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.