The Activity Coordinator assists the Recreation Therapist in the planning, implementing and evaluating of recreation/leisure programs in accordance with the philosophy, objectives and policies of the Home.
- Assist the Recreation Therapist in the development, planning, coordinating and implementation of programs designed to meet the social, spiritual, physical, intellectual and emotional needs of the residents.
- Regular and special reports as required.
- Recommend and monitor equipment and supplies utilized. Notify Department Head of breakdown of equipment, damage, repairs and replacement of supplies.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with other departments in the Home.
- Maintain Attendance Records, Therapeutic Outcomes and other statistical data and/or reports as required or directed by the Recreation Therapist as well as maintain resident progress notes and attendance.
- Conduct and supervise resident recreation/leisure programs as set out by the Recreation Therapist including all daily activity programs as well as special events and outings outside the Home.
- Deliver resident's mail, newspapers, and parcels.
- Show initiative in judgement and carrying out of duties whenever the Recreation Therapist is absent.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time in the continuing operation of the Home.
- Provide weekend and afternoon programming as directed.
- Prepare facilities, equipment, supplies and other program materials for use by participants in recreation/leisure programs.
- Keep residents and/or sponsors aware of Recreation/Leisure program.
- Observe and practice all safety and sanitation rules and regulations. Report fire and accident hazards to Recreation Therapist and/or Maintenance Department. Ensure all accidents are reported immediately to the senior RN and Recreation Therapist.
- Assist the Recreation Therapist in the continuous review and evaluation of the recreation program to ensure that NBNHA and CCHSA Standards are met and maintained.
- Attend Departmental Meetings, Inservices, Conferences, Workshops and Seminars related to the field of recreation/leisure as requested and within the resources of the Home.
- Assist with the Volunteer Program and coordinate volunteer activities.
- Assist in Chapel related activities such as transporting residents to and from the Chapel and the supervision of residents during the service.
- Organize individual and group activities which provide an atmosphere of mental and physical stimulation within the limitations of the individuals and groups.
- Participate in the evaluation of the department's Recreation/Leisure program.
- Ensure recreation programs remain as flexible as possible to encourage maximum participation.
- Participate in the preparation and presentation of teaching and orientation programs for all other staff, including summer students.
- Participate in the setting of policies and procedures for the Department followed by regular review and revision as required.
- Participate in the development and implementation of a Quality Assurance/Risk Management Program within the Department which will be in accordance with the Home's overall program and which will provide a continuous evaluation of the quality and quantity of services provided.
- Assist in organizing outing programs for the resident's. Drive the Home's van when required.
- Assist in preparing a monthly calendar of events to be updated on a monthly basis.
- Visit the residents on a regular basis and upon request.
- Assist with Clothing Sales inside the Home.
- Assist the Recreation Therapist in developing and maintaining good public relations between the Home and the community at large. Respond to inquiries regarding the Recreation Programs of the Home.
- Involve the family members of residents in all appropriate programs.
- Assist in developing, implementing and monitoring a system to ensure that residents have an effective line of communication to the Recreation Department.
- Assist in organizing and scheduling interested community groups that wish to entertain the residents.
Health & Safety:
- Observes and practices safe work habits
- Has made a commitment to Health and Safety and is committed to doing his/her part in keeping their workplace safe and to safeguarding their fellow employees by:
- Observing all rules related to safety
- Using equipment as directed in a safe manner
- Reporting any safety hazard immediately to their supervisor
- Grade 12 education or equivalent
- Ability to play a musical instrument to support Chapel services is desirable.
- Class 4 Drivers license
- Two years' experience in Recreation planning and programming or completion of an Activity Director's course or agreement to complete this course within a mutually agreeable time frame.
- Taking part in all Safety Programs provided and performs duties as assigned (ie. Emergency Preparedness, Globally Harmonized System (GHS), Back in Form and Infection Control).
- Reports any safety hazard that may affect resident safety to the Supervisor
- Has a strong commitment to providing a healthy, safe and caring environment for residents.
These job duties are only the basis and prime duties of the position; related and allied duties will be assigned as deemed necessary to the efficient operation of the Home.
ONLY CANDIDATES CURRENTLY IN CANADA AND LEGALLY ALLOWED TO WORK IN CANADA WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please submit resume to:
Kenneth E. Spencer Memorial Home Inc.
35 Atlantic Baptist Avenue
Moncton, NB E1E 4N3
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.