Position: Full Time Accounting Clerk
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm
Responsible To: Director of Finance
Performs accounting functions and provides general support to the Finance Department. Duties and responsibilities include performing accounting tasks and financial transactions related to all aspects of the Home. Ensures services are delivered in keeping with the mission, vision and values of the Home and meet the appropriate standards for Long Term Care Facilities.
- Accepts responsibilities for decisions made and for achieving the expectations of his/her role in the organization
- Communicates effectively with residents, coworkers, managers, volunteers, families and members of the public
- Displays attitudes in work performance that are in keeping with the mission and are resident focused
- Works cooperatively and respectfully with others to further the values and mission of the organization
- Participates in continuous quality improvement by seeking ways to improve resident care and service delivery
- Demonstrates ability to adapt to change by taking responsibility for self learning, receptive to new ideas and willingness to try new methods and approaches
- Demonstrates respect and caring for others by respecting others values and opinions, displaying compassion and empathy, protecting integrity and confidentiality of others
- Promote and maintain the safety of all residents, staff and visitors
- Accounts payable invoicing, coding, data entry, edit, posting and cheque run
- Payment to Nova Scotia Nurses Union and CUPE dues
- Ensure payment for accounts receivable are received from residents, third party providers, etc.
- Receipt all incoming payments
- Receives/posts payments, prepares bank deposits
- Performs balancing functions of cash receipts and financial accounts/books
- Evaluates accounts to identify late payments or delinquent balances, initiates action to collect unpaid balances
- Complete monthly census and DHW portal reconciliation
- Calculate HST rebates, completes forms and forward for reimbursement
- Balance and replenish petty cash for the organization and resident's personal use allowance
- Receipt all donations and incoming deposits
- Perform payroll functions as requested
- Balance all residents accounts, record all transactions (i.e. income and expenditures) to resident trust accounts
- Organize income tax information for each resident and issue receipts when requested
- Memorial fund, completing envelopes, issuing receipts, bank deposits
- Compile and prepare statistical reports as requested i.e. Stats Canada
- Prepare, reconcile & submit monthly claims.
- Collect and record monthly rent for Enriched Housing tenants
- Collect and record monthly rent for Shipyard Housing tenants
- Complete CND monthly invoices.
- Submit monthly printer readings.
- Participate in admission process for new residents
- Utilize continuous quality improvement principles and evidence based decision making processes to ensure accurate accounting practices
- Research and obtain information on costs and best practices for finance department
- Participate on committees as required by the Departmental Director
- Perform other related duties as may be required by the Departmental Director
- Two year business program
- Five year experience in bookkeeping and office procedures
- Demonstrated Computer Skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Sage 50 (Simply Accounting)
- Good general health which allows for the ability to attend work on a regular basis and meet the physical demands of the position
- Good personal hygiene
- In accordance with the organization's Police Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to submit a Police Record Check Clearance
- Valid Class 5 Driver's License
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in a rapidly changing work environment
- Ability to adapt to changing workplace technologies and incorporate new learning into daily practices
- Ability to work as a team member
Only serious applicants need apply.
Resume/Cover Letter must be received not later than July 10th, 2020 @ 5pm.
If you feel you meet the qualifications for this position, please send your resume to:
Jacqueline Finn, Director of Finance
R.C. MacGillivray Guest Home Society
25 Xavier Drive
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Fax: (902) 567-0437
Only those accepted for an interview will be contacted. Offer of employment is conditional upon completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials.