Economic Development Officer (Strait Area)
Presented By: The Cape Breton Partnership
Location: Cape Breton Island
Deadline: 4:00 pm July 9th, 2020
The Cape Breton Partnership is looking for a driven multi-talented person to fill the role of Economic Development Officer for the Cape Breton Regional Enterprise Network (CBREN) program. You will produce high-quality work while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Responsible for business attraction & investment readiness initiatives within the CB REN program.
- Work with Cape Breton Partnership, the Municipality of the County of Richmond, the Town of Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia Business Inc., and other partners to support new business investment in Richmond County and the Town of Port Hawkesbury.
- Work with Cape Breton Partnership and municipal staff to support the marketing and sale of lots available in municipal-owned business parks including the Point Tupper Heavy Industrial Park, the Richmond County Light Industrial Park and the shared business park in the Town of Port Hawkesbury.
- Work with the Cape Breton Partnership's communications team to develop a coordinated marketing and branding strategy designed to attract investors and new businesses to the region.
- Collect and maintain current data on business activity in the Municipality and current economic data on Richmond County and the Town of Port Hawkesbury.
- Provide guidance to the CAOs and other municipal staff as required to ensure the timely development of municipal policies which will support commercial growth and protect municipal interests.
- Develop strong relationships with local, regional and national business support organizations to ensure Richmond County and the Town of Port Hawkesbury are best positioned for growth.
Must-have skills and qualifications
- Post-secondary level education in a relevant discipline from a recognized academic institution; degree or diploma in Business Administration, Commerce, Economics or similar designation.
- 2 to 4 years' experience in Industrial /Commercial Development, Real Estate Sales, Marketing or other related field.
- Extensive knowledge of municipal government, relevant planning and economic development legislation, development approval processes, business park development, infrastructure requirements for business development, project management and taxation structures.
- Valid Driver's License and current driving abstract.
- Requires knowledge of business theories and practices as well as knowledge of local and regional economic development potential and opportunities.
- Attention to detail, and solid planning skills when approaching a project.
- Needs to possess a positive, optimistic attitude.
- Proven interpersonal skills, being able to exercise sound judgement, tact, and discretion when dealing with others.
- Political acuity and sensitivity along with exemplary presentation and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal direction.
- Experienced in working with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other similar tools.
- Ability to network with communities, businesses, economic development professionals and a wide variety of other organizations.
- Ability to work effectively with community leaders, diverse community groups, and all levels of government.
The Economic Development Officer will work in both an office environment and in the field and will work a standard workweek. Flexibility in working hours is required as some work will happen outside the standard workweek. Place of work to be determined, candidate to provide an indication of preference. Travel throughout the region will be required.
Nice-to-have skills and qualifications
- Bilingualism would be considered an asset.
- Certification in economic development would be considered an asset.
- The position is located in both Arichat and the Town of Port Hawkesbury.
- Salary range based on education and experience.
- The successful candidate can start right away.
Please forward a cover letter and resume as a single PDF file to: email@example.com
Deadline: 4 pm, July 9th, 2020