Water Treatment Plant Operator I
Water & Sewer Division
(Salary: $28.71/hour plus BSA)
Competition # 5858.20
CUPE Local 508
Under the direction of the Water Treatment and Pumping Supervisor, Water and Sewer Division - Engineering and Public Works Department, the incumbent will be required to perform all duties of the division without supervision. The incumbent is employed in the proper and safe operation of the City's water supply, treatment facilities and distribution system. Duties included water treatment, water quality monitoring and adherence to Canadian drinking guidelines, water chemistry, operation and maintenance of pumps and reservoirs, installation and programming of programmable logic controllers and electrical components, and any work that is required to maintain, improve or upgrade the related facilities of the Water Treatment Plants and System. As this position is one in the public service, the incumbent must be able and willing to work after hours, perform on-call duties and weekend shifts as required.
- Operate and maintain the water treatment plants and related equipment (ph meters, turbidity meters, spectrophotometers, etc.);
- Inspect and maintain wells, booster stations, valve vaults and reservoirs and related equipment. This will include climbing significant heights and entering confined spaces;
- Install, calibrate and troubleshoot variable frequency drives, smart motor controllers, and various process monitoring/control equipment.
- Maintain records; computer data entry, and programming ladder logic software;
- Deal with customer inquiries;
- Perform manual work with dexterity and competency is required.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from a postsecondary Engineering Technology Diploma Program. Education and / or considerable applicable experience in a field related to the water works industry may be considered. Candidates should be willing / able to attain certification through provincially administered program.
Knowledge and Desired Skills:
- Valid NB Class V driver's license;
- Well developed analytical and organizational skills;
- Ability to present reports in an efficient, neat manner using both handwritten and computerized formats;
- Well developed interpersonal and communication skills are required; the ability to work after hours and willing to work shifts, including a regular night shift if required.
- Oral competency with French language skills considered an asset.
Applicants selected for an interview may be asked to participate in job related testing that includes climbing to a significant height and entering a confined space.
Interested individuals may apply in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30 pm on 2020 July 10.
Only those candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
All interviews will take place virtually via Microsoft Teams
Internal / External Posting
2020 June 26