Project Engineering Manager
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
PROJECT ENGINEERING MANAGER
Located 35 Mic Mac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3A 4Y8 Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in the world. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 23 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history.
This year, we will deliver the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years. And we're just getting started. We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
This is a permanent full-time position, located in Halifax, NS, Canada.
This position will be assigned to the CSC engineering delivery function and will be responsible for the effective management and project leadership within the cross functional engineering team. The successful candidate will be expected to shape, enable and lead the delivery of a variety of project management processes, tools and controls; to identify risks, issues and opportunities; and to hone and optimize the project delivery process.
Working as part of the Engineering Project Delivery Team, this role is primarily focused on the effective management and delivery of a variety of activities, taskings, or deliverables to support contracted CSC delivery outputs. In addition, the successful candidate will liaise / support Project Control activities across the Engineering Groups and the utility, application and continuous improvement of these processes. The role will assist the Senior Engineering Project Managers to identify risks and / or issues and implement mitigating measures. This role will liaison with the all aspects of the Engineering Group and external stakeholder including Project Management, Supply Chain, Quality, and the RCN / Subcontractor as required.
The Project Engineering, Task Manager role will:
- Provide effective leadership and management of assigned taskings, activities, or deliverables
- Coordination of Engineering activities as they relate to the efficient delivery of project outputs
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Develop plans, processes and procedures as required to support the Engineering Project Delivery function in the execution of project delivery activities and in support of CSC project milestones
- Project Risk Management support
- Resource management, bringing together junior personnel and allocating tasks to establish the project functions that will deliver the outputs on time and budget Tracking of deliverables, actions and customer comments
- Communication of key project data to the project and engineering teams
- Liaising with the Project Management team to ensure progress, and other project data is aligned
- Configuration control between reporting data and the outputs from the Scheduling team
- Development of more engineering project delivery team members to increase their process understanding.
- Support a culture of teamwork, enthusiasm and a proactive nature within the team
Key attributes will include:
- Proactive - Requires little direction once tasked, acts on initiative, reads intent, uses judgement
- Innovative - Ability to learn or adapt new processes
- Flexible and adaptive to change
- Attention to detail (repeatable accuracy of data)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Education Required: Degree or other tertiary qualifications in a discipline of Engineering or Project Management, or equivalent experience
- Years of Experience Required:
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in the following fields:
- Project Management or Engineering on large, complex defence projects
- Experience in project controls, tools, performance management, scheduling and project delivery
- Coordination with multiple organizations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Erin Sloan at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.