Manager of Health and Safety
Manager of Health and Safety
The Municipal Group of Companies is Atlantic Canada's largest civil construction contractor, with a diverse set of industrial service capabilities. As an organization, we have been operating for more than 50 years, and our presence now extends through Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec, and the Caribbean. Safety is a core value of the Municipal Group of Companies. Our organization is a leader in incident/accident prevention, and we maintain an intensive safety program on all of our projects.
We are currently looking for a Manager of Health and Safety based in Sept Ilse, Quebec to support our Dexter Quebec Operations. We offer a stimulating work environment in a well-established enterprise; you can consistently exceed your limits.
Reporting to the Director, Health and Safety, the Manager, Health & Safety is responsible for providing focus on the implementation and execution of the Corporate Health and Safety Management System (HSMS). This position has general accountability for providing risk management expertise, leadership and guidance to Health and Safety Advisors and Operations Managers to aid in the overarching objective of incident reduction through a positive safety culture.
The Health and Safety Manager focuses on optimizing and improving health and safety performance and metrics through appropriate use and continuous improvement of the Corporate Health and Safety Management System (HSMS).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Health & Safety Leadership
- Ensures the Corporate Health and Safety Management System (HSMS) is fully implemented, maximized and continuously improved within MGOC Operations;
- Manages compliance monitoring and verification activity within assigned Business Units to ensure consistency with corporate standards and regulatory requirements;
- Tracks and reports on the effectiveness of health and safety initiatives that influence performance and meet corporate expectations;
- Supports H&S Advisors and Operations Managers through guidance, coaching and mentoring;
- Participates in the identification and setting of health and safety performance targets and objectives at a Business Unit level; and
- Manages the delivery, metrics and communication of the various health and safety inspections and audit programs.
Health and Safety Operations
- Provides leadership, mentoring and guidance to Health and Safety Advisors and Operations Managers with respect to health and safety;
- Provides clear and actionable direction and communication to the Health and Safety Advisors and Operations Managers as it pertains to health and safety;
- Continuously reviews the overall Health and Safety system, training and tracking platforms, and safety culture for opportunities for improvement;
- Identifies key safety initiatives to support a reduction in incidents and to raise the awareness of proactive measures such as health and safety inspections and audits;
- Aids in driving accountability through leadership of weekly health and safety calls, site inspections, safety investigations and acts as a business partner with business unit managers to advise and make recommendation for safety improvements;
- Reviews Safe Work Practices to ensure they are current, compliant, and properly communicated;
- Work closely with labour partners and regulatory bodies as needed;
- Participates in the development and standardization of corporate training programs pertaining to health and safety and ensures that corporate health and safety training program objectives are met within the business units; and
- Reports on the health and safety performance and compliance of the business unit and responds to performance issues.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience:
Education and Experience
- Five to ten years of progressive experience in the field of Health and Safety with at least 5 years at a leadership level;
- Safety leadership position within a union environment in a manufacturing or industrial setting an asset;
- ASP Certification (Quebec)
- Safety Officer Certification (Quebec) or ability to obtain in an agreed to timeframe.
- Certificate or Degree in OHS or equivalent; and
- CRSP Designation or willingness to obtain.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Commitment to MGOC's Life Saving Commitments, sustainable management, and environmental stewardship;
- Expert in the field of safety leadership;
- Strong decision making, leadership, communication skills;
- Strong analytical background and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to manage multiple complex priorities and align resources;
- Mentoring and coaching employees;
- High level of integrity and professionalism; and
- Ability to travel throughout the provinces to various construction projects, facilities and worksites.
- Strong knowledge of applicable safety legislation, industry standards and best practices
- Tactful and mature demeanour with well developed interpersonal skills including the ability to work well with diverse personalities within all stakeholder groups;
- Fluency in both French and English (written and oral)
How to Apply:
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive pension and benefits package are offered with this position
We are an equal opportunity employer that encourages all interested candidates to submit a detailed resume, quoting the position title, to:
The Municipal Group of Companies
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified.