Medical Flight Specialist A (Multiple Positions)
MEDICAL FLIGHT SPECIALIST A (Multiple Positions)
Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador and
Health Sciences Centre
Provincial Air Ambulance Program
Paramedicine and Medical Transport Division
Hours: Based on the needs of the department
Salary: CG-37 ($32.08 - $35.83 per hour)
Competition Number: 2020002283
Posted Date: May 21, 2020
Closing Date: June 4, 2020
Eastern Health is the largest, integrated health authority in Newfoundland and Labrador employing approximately 13,000 dedicated employees and serving a population of more than 300,000 people. The authority offers the full continuum of health and community services including public health, long-term care, community services, hospital care and unique provincial programs and services. At Eastern Health we pride ourselves on providing the highest quality care and service possible to the people in our communities, in our region, and in the province. To do that, we employ qualified, competent and caring individuals who are dedicated to their professions and to our vision of Healthy People, Healthy Communities.
Applications are invited from highly motivated and experienced health care practitioners who are interested in the exciting challenge of working as a Medical Flight Specialist in the Provincial Air Ambulance Program, Paramedicine and Medical Transport Division of the Eastern Regional Health Authority. The Medical Flight Specialist is a highly responsible, advanced clinical position, accountable for the provision of quality, safe, skilled care of emergent and routine nature to patients within the province requiring inter-facility transport or at the scene of traumatic or acute medical incidents.
In a team environment, the Medical Flight Specialist will be responsible for providing direct patient care including advanced assessment and intervention of all medical and traumatic conditions for a diverse group of patients ranging in age from newborn to the elderly. The Medical Flight Specialist will use critical thinking and professional judgment within their scope of practice and within a medical control system with written protocols and through medical consultation with a physician when necessary. This position is also responsible for promotion and maintenance of quality and safety standards and ensures maintenance of clinical proficiencies and competencies.
By applying for this job, you acknowledge an understanding that regular requirements and demands of this job include (but are not limited to):
- Constantly lifts, pushes and pulls patients on stretchers (which requires up to 35 lbs of push/pull force or greater as the terrain and weather conditions can contribute to increased push/pull forces) often in challenging environments, not always conductive to proper ergonomics to and from planes and ambulances; loading and carrying equipment/patients weighing between 10 - 50 lbs or in excess of 50 lbs. The work must be completed urgently which can contribute to increased forces required in pushing/pulling and lifting.
- Constantly/regularly sits, stands, walks and works in awkward or cramped positions, as well as bends, kneels and stretches to provide patient care.
- Visual concentration is required to prepare medications, monitor equipment and patient condition during in-flight transport; time pressures when transporting critically ill or injured patients to care centres within time frames for life-saving interventions.
- Lack of control over work pace.
- Graduation from an accredited/recognized diploma or degree program in health care or an equivalent combination of advanced training and experience that provides the necessary theoretical and clinical skills to perform at the level of Advanced Care Paramedic, Critical Care Paramedic, Nurse Practitioner, Post Basic Critical Care Nurse, or Post Basic Emergency Nurse.
- Certification in CPR, ACLS, BTLS, PALS and NRP.
- Professional registration to practice in Newfoundland and Labrador is required.
- A minimum of three (3) years current* experience as either an Emergency Care or Critical Care Nurse; or accredited Advanced Care Paramedic or Critical Care Paramedic with a minimum of three (3) years' experience in a high volume performance-based system is required.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, strong written and oral communication skills, knowledge of pharmacology as well as effective decision making skills.
- Pre-employment Physical Capabilities test required.
- Successful completion of a prescribed training program is required upon hire.
- A satisfactory record of work performance and attendance is required.
Market Adjustment and Labrador Allowance (as per the Human Resources Secretariat's Labrador Benefits Policy) may be available for a return in service to those who meet eligibility requirements.
*Experience must be current within the last seven years.
Open to internal and external applicants; however preference will be given to those qualified candidates who are internal to the Eastern Health AAHP Regional Bargaining Unit.
Apply online at https://employment.easternhealth.ca
To become a part of our team, please submit your resume/cover letter or application form online, clearly demonstrating how you meet the required qualifications. Include your current mailing address, day-time contact number, e-mail address, competition and employee numbers if applicable.
Contact Information for Recruitment Related Inquiries
Telephone: (709) 777-7777 (5-2)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications/resumes are not accepted at this email address.
EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory Certificate of Conduct from the RCMP or local Police (Vulnerable Sector Check may be required), educational documents, registration/licensure if applicable and Social Insurance Number.