Quality Assurance Engineer
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
QUALITY ASSURANCE ENGINEER
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7 or 35 Mic Mac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3A 4Y 8 Irv ing Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in the world. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 23 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history.
This year, we will deliver the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years. And we're just getting started. We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
The Quality Assurance Engineer will be a key member of the Quality Team ensuring effective implementation of the Quality Management System. This is a permanent,?full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia.?The primary language of work is English.
- Develop and implement methods and procedures for work-in-process inspection
- Develop process control documentation, including the needs of both the internal and external customer
- Develop appropriate steps to maintain and/or improve business processes
- Monitor and trend business quality metrics as part of a daily management program that includes daily, weekly and project level metrics
- Establish shipyards target levels for quality metrics based on industry standards
- Lead the resolution of quality issues in the business, including the use of root cause analysis and contingency plans as appropriate
- Educate and train the workforce in best practices needed to maintain quality work
- Participate in continuous improvement projects
- Alongside Technical Authority, interpret and implement customer specifications and regulatory requirements
- Perform audits of in process work to ensure compliance with documented shipyard engineering processes
- Perform internal audits
- Education Required: Post-Secondary Degree in Engineering
- Eligible for registration with Engineers Nova Scotia
- Years of Experience Required
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience (shipbuilding industry experience would be considered an asset)
- Knowledge of working with a Government and Naval customer base
- Strong knowledge of ISO 9001 compliance standards
- ISO 9001 auditor certification
- Proven ability to achieve high performance levels in a complex fast-moving environment
- Ability to work independently, set priorities which accurately reflect the relative importance of job responsibilities, and follow through on assignments with minimal direction
- Proven ability to work with various levels of the organization, from first line personnel to the executive team.
- Ability to manage through teamwork and influence, as well as gain commitment
- Solid communication skills, both verbal and written
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.