Bioinformatician / Computational Scientist
NOTE: Applicants must attach a resume to their application.
BARGAINING UNIT: Management & Non- Bargaining
ZONE: Zone 1 - Beauséjour
FACILITY: Dr-Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre
DEPARTMENT: Research and Training
CLASSIFICATION: Bioinformatician / Computational Scientist
STATUS: Permanent full-time
HOURS OF WORK:
8 and 12-hour shifts - Monday to Friday
Possibility of standby and call back
Work schedule may be changed to meet operational needs.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: February 2020
Under the authority of the Regional Director Research, Scientific development, and Training, and the supervision of the Geneticist as well as the Clinic Specialist in Molecular Genetics, the Bioinformatician will use the latest technologies in bioinformatics to rapidly identify and target genes that are involved in the development of various diseases. The Bioinformatician will play a central role in conducting research by developing bioinformatics analysis pipelines and compiling data used in research studies. The Bioinformatician will also support the bioinformatic needs of the molecular diagnostic laboratory. The successful applicant will supervise, mentor and counsel trainees in Bioinformatics. The Bioinformatician will contribute to manuscripts and prepare documents for publication and grant applications. He will compile, write and submit reports to his superiors and might be called to present findings at national or international meetings. The computational scientist may also participate in the supervision of interns and graduate students.
- Ph.D. in genomics or related field;
- Experience with phylogenetic inference and NGS analysis;
- Extensive experience with Python, R, SQL, Bash Scripting or similar programming languages is required;
- Attestable expertise implementing algorithms for sequence alignment, sequence clustering, and distance calculations ;
- Extensive knowledge in Artificial Intelligence and big data and possess machine learning experience;
- Ability to establish NGS data analysis pipelines for variant calling, fusion detection, and differential gene expression analyses and evaluate their performances;
- Working knowledge in experimental analysis and interpretation (e.g., NGS, RNA-Seq, single cell analysis) and human genetics (e.g., GWAS);
- Ability to explore public biological databases and open source bioinformatics tools, suggest integration approaches and build prototype models;
- Ability to work closely with clinicians to provide technical support for scientific discoveries and model developments;
- Flexibility to work in a multidisciplinary team environment and to interact across functional groups;
- Demonstrated ability to perform as a team player and possess excellent cooperation, collaboration as well as oral and written communication skills;
- Good understanding of current scientific literature and willingness to explore new areas;
- Strong desire to achieve scientific excellence, innovative discovery and committed to achieving results;
- Flexible mind with the ability to think outside the box and be comfortable working with ambiguous data in an open-ended, exploratory process;
- Positive attitude and high discretion;
- Ability to work in a team and independently;
- Physical ability to do assigned work;
- Adherence to professional ethics principles, to Vitalité Health Network`s management philosophy and organizational values;
- Adherence to the rules of confidentiality set forth by Vitalité Health Network.
Written and spoken competence in English and spoken competence in French is required.
- The above requirements may be verified through oral, written or practical tests during the selection process.
- Should there be no fully qualified applicants, this position will not necessarily be reposted. If you wish to be considered for this position and meet most of the requirements, you are encouraged to apply at this time.
- The employer reserves the right to shorten or extend temporary assignments for operational reasons.
- We thank all applicants. However, only those selected will be contacted.
" Vitalité Health Network is a smoke-free environment. "