Community Health Registered Nurse I
Public Health Program
Home and Community Care Urban (Current Location: Zone 1 - Bell Island and Torbay)
Hours: 150 hours in a four-week period (this position usually works 75 hours bi-weekly; days, nights, evenings and weekends)
Salary: NS-30 ($34.35 - $42.65 per hour)
Competition Number: 2016005187
At Eastern Health we pride ourselves on providing the highest quality care and service possible to the people in our communities, in our region, and in the province. To do that, we employ qualified, competent and caring individuals who are dedicated to their professions and to our vision of Healthy People, Healthy Communities.
The Community Health Nurse I provides nursing services to individuals, families, groups and communities within a Population Health framework using the principles of Primary Health Care in a self-help framework and case management model of service delivery. The Community Health Nurse I translates knowledge from the health and social sciences to promote and support health and is responsible for the provision of care to individuals of all ages, living under various conditions and with a wide variety of associated social and health care needs. Community Health Nurses provide quality nursing care involving all aspects of public health nursing and/or home and community care nursing programs including community development, health promotion and protection, illness prevention, supportive, curative, rehabilitative and palliative care and deliver these targeted interventions and programs where clients can best access them, including homes, schools, clinics and many other settings.
Effective practice is dependent upon collaboration with the client and family, a variety of health workers and other community based personnel. This may be achieved as a member of interdisciplinary teams and committees.
This position requires an ability to observe and follow the established organizational policies and procedures, professional code of ethics and the Canadian Community Health Nursing Standards of Practice. This position frequently works autonomously with limited supervision. Ability to be self-directed and exercise independent nursing judgment in a community-based environment is essential.
The Community Health Nurse I is required to work alone for extended periods of time and travel in a variety of weather and road conditions. They may be exposed to contagious diseases, various pets and animals, emotionally difficult or potentially violent situations, and hazardous substances.
By applying for this job, you acknowledge an understanding that regular requirements and demands of this job include (but are not limited to):
- Occasionally lifts up to 30 lbs and helps to reposition clients or lift children up to 50 lbs while working in awkward postures.
- Regularly stands/walks during client visits and clinics, as well as drive to clients' homes and/or Personal Care Homes.
- Strong hand/eye co-ordination is required. Visual and auditory alertness is required when completing assessments, administering medications, and providing care.
- When performing procedures, regularly uses fine finger/precision work and hand tools requiring accurate control and steadiness. Regular computer work is required.
- Graduation from an approved/recognized post-secondary nursing education program with a Baccalaureate degree in Nursing.
- A current practicing license with the Association of Registered Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador (ARNNL) and BLS Certification is required.
- One year of Community Health Nursing (Home and Community Care) experience is preferred.
- Ability to be self-motivated and able to work both collaboratively and with a high degree of independence and initiative.
- A valid Newfoundland and Labrador Class 5 Driver's License and the use of a private vehicle are conditions of employment.
- A satisfactory record of work performance required.
Open to male and female applicants. Open to internal applicants only of the Eastern Health RNUNL Regional Bargaining Unit.
Apply online at https://employment.easternhealth.ca
To become a part of our team, please submit your resume/cover letter or application form online, clearly demonstrating how you meet the required qualifications. Include your current mailing address, day-time contact number, e-mail address, competition and employee number if applicable.
Contact Information for Recruitment Related Inquiries:
Telephone: (709) 777-7777 (5-2) or 1-800-563-3693
Email: email@example.com. Applications/resumes are not accepted at this email address.
Please note that job offers will be made in accordance with Article 23.12 of the RNUNL Collective Agreement.
EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory Certificate of Conduct from the RCMP or local Police (Vulnerable Sector Check may be required), educational documents, registration/licensure if applicable and Social Insurance Number.