Director of Online Learning
Role Title: Director of Online Learning
Date: February 12, 2020
Mission for the Director of Online Learning:
The Director of Online Learning is responsible for providing leadership for the strategy, development, and delivery of all online courses at Maritime Christian College. This is a new role at Maritime Christian College and the Director of Online Learning has the opportunity to build a world-class online learning solution from the ground up, including a digital technology platform to deliver both synchronous and asynchronous course content via a Learning Management System and other related software. The Director of Online Learning sets the instructional design processes for MCC and will also be the creative project manager for combining all the inputs from MCC partners, the Academic Dean, and professors into a unique world-class eLearning experience for students.
Technical and Management Competencies (required to achieve the mission and outcomes)
- Demonstrated organizational skills in handling, directing, and prioritizing multiple and complex assignments/projects and implementing effective tracking mechanisms to keep other stakeholders aligned and informed.
- Experience and skill in working effectively in a team environment with a focus on finding solutions that result in outstanding outcomes for our customers.
- Must possess the ability to apply various instructional design approaches to learning content and to professionally design and implement engaging and effective teaching and learning strategies.
- Experience with current Learning Management Systems and other instructional technologies.
- Experience in designing and developing instructor-led, web-based, and digital media instruction in higher education is an asset.
- Experience with Information Technology infrastructure and working with internal and external IT service providers.
- Experience in facilitating the integration of new technology into an organizational environment.
- Ability to define, track, and report on project progress from start to finish using project management software.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with students, college staff, external partners, and the public.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; and effectively present information to top management, public groups, and MCC Board of Directors.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
Behavioural Competencies (required to achieve the mission and outcomes):
- Integrity and honesty - does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right, not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully.
- Creativity/innovation - generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
- Follow-through on commitments - lives up to verbal and written agreements - is a person of their word.
- Engaged and enthusiastic - exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a can-do attitude that is evident to students, faculty, staff, and supporters.
- Strategic thinking/visioning - able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Communication - speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative. Maintains this standard in all forms of written communication, including e-mail.
- Coachable - lets others speak and seeks to understand their viewpoints. Will accept coaching with humility.
- Organization and planning - Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities. Strong project management discipline is evident in daily work.
- Persistence - demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Proactivity - acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the organization.
- Flexibility/adaptability - adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Calm under pressure - maintains stable performance when under heavy pressure or stress.
- Analytical skills - able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it. Exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights.
- Attention to detail - does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
Cultural Competencies (required to ensure alignment to Maritime Christian College culture):
- Confident humility - is a leader who serves others before self, emulating the example of Jesus' leadership. Keeps own ego under control. Does not act as an arrogant academic or superior to students, but able to work at every level in the organization, from providing strategic advice to the Board to sweeping the floor if required.
- Compassionate accountability - the leader holds other staff and faculty accountable for their individual performance and the commitments they make. At the same time, the leader practices Christ-like compassion with students, staff and faculty when they experience difficulty or failure.
- Joyfulness - exhibits a spirit of joyfulness despite the pressure and stress of the role and any crises that are being handled. This joyfulness is evidence of a mature leader who truly enjoys what they do and the contribution they make to transforming the lives of students taking courses from MCC.
Education and Experience Requirements:
The requirements listed below are representative of the education and experience required. This is a position requiring creativity combined with attention to detail so experience that differs from the requirements outlined below will not be automatically eliminated from consideration.
- Undergraduate or Graduate level post-secondary degree in a field relating to education or technology.
- At least five (5) years of relevant experience, including an appropriate combination of experience in an education or technology organization, and with supervisory and other administrative experience.
- Experience with Information Technology infrastructure and working with internal and external IT service providers is a strong asset.
- Experience leading/managing a team or ministry and engaging extensively with external partners to deliver a solution to customers is a good asset.
- Strong communication skills orally and in print.
- Strong Emotional Intelligence and interpersonal skills.
Salary for this position will be commensurate with experience and educational qualifications. Maritime Christian College offers a comprehensive benefits package to full time employees.
Maritime Christian College's campus is located at 503 University Avenue in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. The Director of Online Learning position will be headquartered at the MCC campus but alternate arrangements for working remotely will be considered.