Director Merchandising National - Seafood and Plant-based Protein (NS)
Sobeys Inc. in Stellarton, NS
Requisition ID: 68205
Career Group: Corporate Office Careers
Job Category: Fresh Merchandising
Travel Requirements: 50%+
Country: Canada (CA)
Province: Nova Scotia (CA-NS)
Location: Foord St. Office
A proudly Canadian retail company, Sobeys began in 1907 as a small meat delivery business in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. Today, Sobeys Inc. serves the food shopping needs of Canadians with approximately 1,500 stores in all 10 provinces under retail banners that include Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, and Lawton's Drug Stores as well as in-store pharmacies, liquor and more than 350 retail fuel locations.
Together with our 123,000 employees and franchise affiliates and a collective passion for delivering exceptional food and shopping experiences, Sobeys' purpose is to improve the lives of Canadians by helping them Eat Better, Feel Better and Do Better.
All career opportunities will be open a minimum of 5 business days from the date of posting.
Lead National Category Managers
- Develop and design department plan that support the overall banner merchandising strategy, delivering both customer loyalty and sales growth
- Coach, train and mentor Category Managers to develop category plans, implement category strategies and manage vendor relationships
- Work with Category Managers to execute category plans that meet the needs of the banners within each geographic region
- Inspire product and program innovations from the Category Management teams and the vendors
Develop the department or category group strategy
- Build department/category tactics that support the department/banner strategy
- Establish category level wholesale and retail margin budgets that meet the targets of the regional banners
- Set performance targets for categories including: sales, promotional mix, shrink
- Manage promotional and category sales mixes to achieve banner targets by geographic region
- Translate strategic category plans into tactical merchandising activities
- Identify opportunities in line with consumer trends and banner strategies
- Ensure a high level of personal and team education on department strategies and tactics being executed in North America and Europe, including the growth of seafood and plant-based meat
Direct the execution of merchandising categories
- Work with their Fresh and Grocery peers to establish quarterly and annual promotional plans
- Ensure the Category Plans align to the banner promotional and pricing strategies
- Support the Category Managers in the Joint Business Plan meetings is accordance with the annual schedule
- Build vendor relationships to enable effective Joint Business Planning and strategic planning
- Analyze category performance in the market place and at individual competitors
Empower employees and develop top talent
- Foster an environment for skill development and career progression to develop talent
- An Undergraduate Degree and a minimum of 12 years of relevant experience preferably in the Seafood category.
- Knowledge of plant-based meat products is an asset.
- Masters degree preferred
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to innovate
- Passionate and enthusiastic about food
- Ability to travel within Canada and globally
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.