Personal Care Attendant (REPOST)
Location: Clarenville - Dr. A. O'Mahony Memorial Manor
Personal Care Attendant (REPOST)
Long Term Care
Temporary Call In
Hours: Based on the needs of the department.
Salary: CG-24 ($20.71 - $22.81 per hour)
Competition Number: 2019003802
Posted Date: 30 January 2020
Closing Date: Open until filled
Eastern Health is the largest, integrated health authority in Newfoundland and Labrador employing approximately 13,000 dedicated employees and serving a population of more than 300,000 people. The authority offers the full continuum of health and community services including public health, long-term care, community services, hospital care and unique provincial programs and services. At Eastern Health we pride ourselves on providing the highest quality care and service possible to the people in our communities, in our region, and in the province. To do that, we employ qualified, competent and caring individuals who are dedicated to their professions and to our vision of Healthy People, Healthy Communities.
Personal Care Attendants are valued members of the interprofessional team in long-term care. They are responsible for providing support to residents in all aspects of daily living through companionship, physical, spiritual, and psychosocial care. This includes, but are not limited to, performing duties related to all aspects of the residents' personal needs (nutrition, personal hygiene, mobility), assisting with planning and providing various recreational activities, supporting families and residents for end of life issues and escorting residents. Duties are performed under the direction of a registered nurse / licensed practical nurse in keeping with the philosophy of resident-centered care.
Long-term care settings are often complex. Residents have diverse needs resulting from such conditions as chronic illness and functional and cognitive impairments. This population includes frail or elderly adults, individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities and/or individuals with mental illness. The work environment is fast paced with frequent contact with the public, residents and other health professionals.
By applying for this job, you acknowledge an understanding that regular requirements and demands of this job include (but are not limited to):
- Regularly lift/move objects/supplies up to 30 lb and frequent standing and walking.
- Regularly requires a variety of body movement including bending, kneeling and stretching and pushing and pulling objects using light to medium force.
- Data input, visual monitoring and higher than normal levels of attentiveness and attention to the health and safety of others is required in the provision of all forms of care.
- Graduation from High School or equivalent.
- Successful completion of an approved/recognized Personal Care Attendant Program or other equivalency as determined by the employer. Equivalency may include completion of an adequate portion of the BN or Practical Nurse program to enable the applicant to meet a majority of the duties, responsibilities and psychomotor competencies of the PCA.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, be able to maintain effective working relationships with residents, staff, and families, demonstrate initiative, be able to work independently and prioritize work duties.
- A satisfactory record of work performance is required.
THIS IS A REPOST. Those who have already applied, need not re-apply.
Open to external applicants only.
Apply online at https://employment.easternhealth.ca
To become a part of our team, please submit your resume/cover letter or application form online, clearly demonstrating how you meet the required qualifications. Include your current mailing address, day-time contact number, e-mail address, competition and employee number if applicable.
Contact Information for Recruitment Related Inquiries:
Telephone: (709) 777-7777 (5-2) or 1-800-563-3693
Email: email@example.com. Applications/resumes are not accepted at this email address.
EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory Certificate of Conduct from the RCMP or local Police (Vulnerable Sector Check may be required), educational documents, registration/licensure if applicable and Social Insurance Number.