Financial Analyst, Indirect Tax
Sobeys Inc. in Stellarton, NS
Requisition ID: 63681
Career Group: Corporate Office Careers
Job Category: Administration
Travel Requirements: 0 - 10%
Country: Canada (CA)
Province: Nova Scotia (CA-NS)
Location: King St. Office
A proudly Canadian retail company, Sobeys began in 1907 as a small meat delivery business in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. Today, Sobeys Inc. serves the food shopping needs of Canadians with approximately 1,500 stores in all 10 provinces under retail banners that include Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, and Lawton's Drug Stores as well as in-store pharmacies, liquor and more than 350 retail fuel locations.
Together with our 123,000 employees and franchise affiliates and a collective passion for delivering exceptional food and shopping experiences, Sobeys' purpose is to improve the lives of Canadians by helping them Eat Better, Feel Better and Do Better.
All career opportunities will be open a minimum of 5 business days from the date of posting.
Sobeys is full of exciting opportunities and we are always looking for bright new talent to join our team! We have a full-time opportunity for an Financial Analyst, Indirect Tax to join our Finance Tax department based out of our office in Stellarton, NS.
What you'll get to do in this fast paced role:
- Providing timely and accurate submission of Commodity Tax returns including GST/HST, PST, QST, fuel tax, container deposits and fees, and tobacco tax returns.
- Owning the payment process for the above returns and ensuring payment is completed prior to the required deadline
- Investigating and analyzing the variances between the v`arious reports and general ledger balances
- Driving the review of current processes and procedures to explore new improvements to respond to the needs of the business
- Communicating with the Taxation Team as well as outside participants
- Preparing period end working papers
- Receiving and filing notice of assessments
- Responding to Government queries
- Participation in Government audits
- Researching application of tax, and administrative process from government websites
- Cheque coding
What your resume will include and demonstrate to us:
- Post-secondary education in a Finance, Accounting or related program
- Minimum of one year of office experience in an accounting environment
- Experience in a team-driven environment
- Commodity tax knowledge and experience
- Experience preparing sales tax returns
- French (spoken/written) considered an asset
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a leading Canadian company with a clear vision and focus. If you feel that this describes the kind of work you want to do, and you are excited about what Sobeys has to offer, then we look forward to reviewing your application. Please ensure that you take the time to ensure your profile shows us why you're the most qualified applicant for the role.
Sobeys offers our employees many valuable benefits such as:
- Growing organization
- Competitive salary
- Pension plan
- Flexible health and dental benefits plan (eligible employees)
- Ongoing Training & Development
- Opportunity for internal mobility to other departments and/or promotions (for employees who are strong performers)
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.