Department: Recreation and Volunteer Services
Location: Berwick, Nova Scotia
Job Posting No.:
Date Closing: January 17, 2020
Salary: Based on Department of Health funding
Internal/External Job Posting for
Temporary, Full-Time (80 Hours bi-weekly up to 52 weeks)
Description of Grand View Manor:
GVM is a non-profit long term care home with 5 nursing home units, 142 residents, and over 200 staff. One of the units is a secure unit for people with dementia and wandering behavior. We also have an attached assisted living complex (30 units), and an enriched housing complex (40 units). GVM staffing includes Nursing (Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, Continuing Care Assistants), Dietary / Food Services, Environmental Services (Laundry, Housekeeping, Maintenance), Chaplaincy, Recreation, OT/PT/PTA and Administrative Support.
The Recreation Programmer reports directly to the Manager of Recreation and Volunteer Services and is responsible for the planning and implementation of recreation programs in accordance with Department of Health / GVM policies and procedures.
· Participates in the planning and implementation of regularly scheduled small and large group activities, as well as special events, to meet the needs of all residents
· Engages residents one on one in accordance with established goals
· Assists with promotion of upcoming events to residents, staff and families
· Assists residents to and from recreational programs
· Completes initial recreation assessments as well as quarterly and annual recreation updates
· Documents resident participation daily (utilizing computerized charting system)
· Oversees the residents' activities and reports issues / concerns / changes in participation levels or abilities to the department manager. Also responsible for observing and reporting any changes in residents' functional and cognitive behavior to the nurse on duty
· Participation in resident multi-disciplinary care conferences as required
· Provides direction to volunteers and /or students during activity programs and demonstrates related techniques as required
· Assists the Manager of Recreation in maintaining inventory of equipment, tools and materials by identifying supply needs and reporting malfunctioning equipment
· Uses, cleans, stores and maintains activity equipment and supplies
· Performs other related duties as assigned
· Completion of recognized diploma or degree in Therapeutic Recreation or Recreation Leadership preferred
· Minimum of two years related experience
· Experience and knowledge of Alzheimer's Disease and related dementias is a definite asset.
· Class 4 driver's license is an asset
· Must be resident-centered and dedicated in providing meaningful recreational programs.
· Must be engaging and flexible
· Must have the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
· Must have the ability to interact with others effectively as a team member.
· Must have the ability to prioritize work load
· Must have the physical ability to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the position.
· Ability to teach and lead groups of older adults.
· Creative and energetic
· Basic computer literacy
· Musical ability is an asset
We value diversity in the workplace and strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including African Canadians and other members of the visible minority community, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and women in non-traditional roles.
Please submit application with resume outlining qualifications and experience in person to:
Leighanne Tate, Manager of Recreation
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted