Hull Outfitting Engineer
Irving Shipbuilding in Multiple Locations
Dartmouth, NS | Halifax, NS
HULL OUTFITTING ENGINEER
Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company's commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
- Participate in analysis and definition of system requirements which impact on the ability of the CSC design to achieve classification society design approvals and certificates from certification authorities
- Participate in analysis and definition of system requirements which impact on the ability of the CSC design to achieve project defined performance objectives
- Assist the Structures and Hull Outfit Team Lead with the management of the Hull Outfit group; delegating tasks, providing guidance to team members and tracking progress
- Facilitate the generation of client-driven user needs and develop them into functional and system requirements
- Facilitate the reduction of project risk by evaluating current design against Canadian requirements and advising the client of any variance.
- Participate in the development of design deliverables
- Assist with facilitating and overseeing subcontractor fulfillment of design deliverables
- Support technical design reviews in respect to Hull Outfitting design aspects
- Participate in technical negotiations with equipment and material vendors in respect to classification societies approvals and certification from certifying authorities
- Assist with change management activities which impact Hull Outfitting design aspects, approvals from classification societies, and certification from certifying authorities
- Assist in developing and implementing test plans, procedures, and requirements verification tracking in areas relating to Hull Outfitting including but not limited to compartment arrangements, deck equipment and accommodations
- Support the review of vendor design products and vendor information
- Address risk items relating to the Hull Outfitting Team areas of responsibility, including identification and risk mitigation planning
- Participate in the development of CSC processes and procedures related to the CSC Hull Outfitting activities
- Propose design and process improvements related to vessel producibility, shipyard safety, and production performance where applicable
- Develop and foster client, subcontractor, and classification society relationships
- Support a culture of teamwork, enthusiasm and proactive behavior within the Platform Systems Team
- Degree in Naval Architecture, Structural or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience. Meets the pre-requisites to eventually achieve Professional Engineering status with Engineers Nova Scotia.
- Experience with project management, including regular contact with the client and subcontractors
- Experience with leading and mentoring groups to achieve a common goal
- At least 3 years' experience in shipbuilding, ship repair, or ship operations
- Demonstrated capability to learn and apply new information quickly
- Experience with, and/ or working knowledge of a variety of disciplines related to shipbuilding
- Comfortable working with people from a variety of technical backgrounds, including management and resolution of disagreement between stakeholders
- Project Management Professional certification would be considered an asset
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.