Irving Shipbuilding in Multiple Locations
Halifax, NS | Dartmouth, NS
Irving Shipbuilding Inc., located at 35 Mic Mac Boulvard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3A 4Y8 or 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defence.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in the world. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 23 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history.
This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years. And we're just getting started. We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
This is a permanent full time position located in Halifax Regional Municipality, NS. The primary language of work is English.
- Responsible for overseeing all safety, regulatory and certification related tasks for the CSC design phase.
- Responsible for ensuring that the required quality of the engineering outputs supplied by the CSC sub-contractors is delivered.
- Responsible for representing ISI at major design reviews and signing off the design as meeting all safety and regulatory requirements
- Responsible for certifying the CSC ships during and at the end of the build activities.
- Responsible for design verification activities and approving all Platform and Combat test forms, reviewing test data and ultimately signing off test forms.
- Responsible for approving all safety, regulatory and certification related changes to the engineering baseline.
- Responsible for approving and implementing process and procedures to support the Chief Engineer's scope of work.
- Work with the CSC Technical Directors to assist in resolving technical issues.
- Work with the Customers 'Technical Authority' to approve Concessions and Waivers.
- Represents technical authority for Irving Shipbuilding on the CSC Program
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Post Secondary Education in Engineering (Naval Architect or Marine Engineering preferred)
- 7 years of experience in a Marine Engineering environment at a senior level
- Experience working with a 3D model in a ship design environment
- Experience working on major Defense contracts an asset
- Experience in the shipbuilding industry (War Ships/Submarines preferred) considered essential
- Accustomed to working in a fast-paced environment with multiple conflicting priorities
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Comfort with MS Office suite of software
For additional information please contact: Erin Sloan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted
To learn more about our products and services, click here .
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.