Health and Safety Coordinator / Pay Band 4
The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
Health and Safety Coordinator / Pay Band 4
Personal Services Contract (Two Years + one)
See Table Below
EECD is seeking an individual to join an Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Initiative Implementation Team as a school district OHS Coordinator. The OHS Initiative Implementation Team coordinator will be co-located in each school district. Their purpose is to enable the successful development and implementation of a compliant, sustainable district Health and Safety Program. This program will support wellness, health, and safety in the work environment and meet legislative requirements. The Coordinators will provide their respective district with expert advice, OHS training, OHS quality control and quality assurance. They will implement best practices utilizing current research and tools. This is an exciting opportunity in a challenging and rewarding field to work with a professional team and help build a culture of safety.
As a member of this team, the successful candidate will provide client-focused advice and services for a school district within the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Providing guidance as a subject matter expert on occupational health and safety standards, risk assessment methodologies, and safety management systems.
- Assisting clients with the design and implementation of a safety and health management system.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining a fundamental health and safety program and initiatives on behalf of the client organization with an emphasis on compliance, critical hazard identification and risk reduction designed to promote a culture of skilled and safe workplaces.
- Evaluating current processes and practices across the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development to ensure standardization.
- Developing, coordinating and/or delivering required regulatory health and safety educational sessions.
- Being a liaison between WorkSafeNB and the client, assisting and advising the client as it relates to any form of regulatory requirement or order.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining health and safety program tools to assist the client in ensuring they meet their regulatory compliance requirements and ensuring tools are kept up to date, easily available and clearly communicated.
- Providing the client organization advice, tools and technical support related to conducting investigations related to accidents, incidents, hazardous materials, near misses, issues and complaints.
- Partnering with and coaching supervisors and managers on their duties as it relates to health and safety.
- Additional duties upon request.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: University degree in a related field with a minimum of three (3) years of safety-related work experience OR a post-secondary diploma in a related field with a minimum of five (5) years of safety-related work experience OR a post-secondary certificate in a related field with a minimum of six (6) years of safety-related work experience.
Subject to the response to this competition, an equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered
Anglophone School Districts - Written and spoken competence in English is required.
Francophone School Districts - Written and spoken competence in French is required.
Please state your language capacity.
District: ASD West Region: Fredericton Region
District: ASD South Region: Saint John Region
District: ASD East Region: Moncton Region
District: ASD North Region: Miramichi Regions
District: DSF Sud Region: Dieppe, Shediac, Bouctouche Regions
District: DSF Nord-Ouest Region: Edmundston Region
District: DSF Nord-Est Region: Tracadie-Sheila, Bathurst, Campbellton Regions
Please identify which locations you wish to apply for.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please state your language capability on your application and ensure that preferred language for assessment is clearly identified.
ASSET QUALIFICATIONS: Preference may be given to candidates who demonstrate the following asset qualifications:
- A certificate in a recognized Health and Safety program
- Possess or be eligible to obtain the Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation
Subject to the response to this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application one or more of the asset qualifications in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Frequent travel in the assigned territory is required and candidates must possess a valid driver's license.
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following behavioral competencies:
- Analytical Thinking/Judgment
- Effective Interactive Communication
- Relationship/Network Building
- Client Service Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following technical competencies:
- Ability to use office technology, software and applications
- Knowledge of health and safety procedures
- Planning and organizing
- Consulting; development and facilitation skills
- Written and Oral communication
Résumés should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment.
Salary: $49,374 - $69,056 (Annual)
We encourage applicants to apply on-line or by mail at the following address by December 16, 2019 indicating competition number: 19-2000-020. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
Department of Education and
Early Childhood Development
Human Resources Services
Place 2000, 250 King Street
Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
Telephone: 1 506 444-4909
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As per the Civil Service Act, candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who demonstrate they are among the most qualified, shall be given preference at the time of appointment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The New Brunswick Public Service: Improving the lives of New Brunswickers every day!