Registered Pharmacy Technician - Multiple Sites - St. John's
Sobeys Inc. in St. John's, NL
Requisition ID: 59364
Career Group: Pharmacy Careers
Job Category: National Pharmacy
Country: Canada (CA)
Province: Newfoundland and Labrador (CA-NL)
City: St. John's
Location: St. John's Division Office
A proudly Canadian retail company, Sobeys began in 1907 as a small meat delivery business in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. Today, Sobeys Inc. serves the food shopping needs of Canadians with approximately 1,500 stores in all 10 provinces under retail banners that include Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, and Lawton's Drug Stores as well as in-store pharmacies, liquor and more than 350 retail fuel locations.
Together with our 123,000 employees and franchise affiliates and a collective passion for delivering exceptional food and shopping experiences, Sobeys' purpose is to improve the lives of Canadians by helping them Eat Better, Feel Better and Do Better.
All career opportunities will be open a minimum of 5 business days from the date of posting.
We are currently recruiting for Registered Pharmacy Technicians in our St. John's, Newfoundland market. Opportunities exist for full-time, part-time and casual employment.
The Registered Pharmacy Technician position is a regulated position that requires the individual to be licensed with the provincial college of pharmacy. In addition to all duties that can be performed by a pharmacy assistant, the RPT is able to conduct some restricted activities under the indirect supervision of a pharmacist. The authorized duties of the technician are limited by legal restrictions imposed by individual Provincial Pharmacy Regulatory Bodies. It is essential that both pharmacists and pharmacy technicians clearly understand which functions and duties may be performed by the RPT and which duties may not be undertaken by the RPT.
RPT's will have independent authority, responsibility and liability (required by legislation to have liability insurance) to prepare, process and compound prescriptions including:
- receive and transcribe verbal prescriptions from practitioners, (with the exception of verbal narcotic prescriptions and benzodiazepines)
- ensure that a prescription is complete and authentic
- transfer prescriptions to and receive prescriptions from other pharmacies,
- ensure the accuracy of a prepared prescription,
- perform the final check of a prepared prescription and
- ensure the accuracy of drug and personal health information in patient records
An RPT may only perform these restricted activities if:
- a pharmacist has assessed the prescription, the patient, the patient's health history and medication record and has determined that the drug therapy is appropriate for the patient, and
A pharmacist must be available to counsel the patient and to monitor the patient's drug therapy at some point before the prescription is released to the patient.
- Completion of the Pharmacy Technician Certification
- Knowledge of MS Word and Excel
- Above average oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience with Lawtons Drugs/Sobeys Pharmacy Computer systems preferred
- Relevant post secondary education preferred
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work independently in a fast environment
- Available days, evenings, and weekends
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.