Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include:
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
Marine Atlantic has an immediate opening for Chief Officers to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. These positions are permanent full-time positions that are scheduled across our fleet and each tour based on operational requirements.
Reporting directly to the Master, the Chief Officer is the head of Deck Department and must ensure that all functions are performed efficiently by the Deck Department's employees, making this a critical role in leading, managing, and developing their team, ensuring quality results and the safety of all vessel staff and passengers.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Plan, direct and monitor the loading and unloading of the vessel as well as the stowage, segregation and securing of dangerous goods.
- Perform routine and preventative deck maintenance inspections; maintain life-saving and fire-fighting equipment; ensure an adequate supply of fresh water is maintained; arrange deck watches and notify the Purser of crew changes.
- Maintain up-to-date Deck Department files and records and attend and actively participate in Ship Safety Meetings as the Ship Safety Officer.
- Incident control and emergency response.
- Application of hazard assessment and job safety analysis.
- Conduct risk assessment, incident investigation, and root cause determination.
- Promote a positive customer experience.
- Have full knowledge of the Solas Training Manual under the SMS
- Understand the Safety Management System (SMS) under ISM
- Be aware of all aspects of the ship's operation, so that he/she is able, if required, to assume command immediately
- Ensure workers under their supervision have proper training and understand their responsibilities under the CLC Part II
- Supervise cargo operations and have full understanding of Dangerous Goods and associated hazards
- Have full familiarity with the International Collision Regulations
- Have full familiarity of the fire control panel, hull opening & water tight door panel and other indicator panels
- Understand and maintain ship security plan, perform drills, and maintain all ship security equipment.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity?
Education Certification and Experience
- Valid Master, Near Coastal STCW 2010 Certificate of Competency
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a Deck Officer, 2 of which need to be as a Chief Officer of a large vessel
- Radio Operator Certificate (GMDSS)
- Knowledge and experience working with vessels certified under the International Safety Management Code
- Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical
- Demonstrated Leadership Abilities
- Graduate from a recognized marine school program
- MED Refresher
- Previous experience working on large passenger ferries
- Passenger Safety Management or Specialized Passenger Safety Management
- Knowledge of the Canadian Regulations including the Canada Labour Code Part II and MOHS Regulations
Please note: This position is designated as a safety sensitive position and is subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic's Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes, but not limited to pre-employment testing. We have a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit drugs.
Marine Atlantic's Tour Pattern
There is a monthly tour pattern for regularly assigned positions of 15 days on and 15 days off, normally commencing the 1st and 15th of each month. As a new employee, you will be called for work in accordance with operational requirements; therefore, you may be required to work in intervals throughout both tours (i.e. one month) in order to obtain 15 days of work. Please note, you may be called to work fewer than or in excess of 15 days per month should it be operationally required.
How do I become a part of the team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online.
All applicants must apply online:
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from Women, Indigenous People, Persons with Disabilities, Visible Minorities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. If you are a member of one of these groups, we invite you to self-identify on your application, cover letter or resume.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department (email@example.com).