Pharmacy Practice Assistant - Distribution
Req ID: 40784
Location: Western Zone, Yarmouth Regional Hospital
Department: 3000249 PHAR Pharmacy YRH
Type of Employment: Hourly PT short-assignment (50% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Union Status: Healthcare Bargaining Unit - CUPE
Posting Closing Date: 22-Oct-19
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Reporting to the Pharmacy Manager, the Pharmacy Practice Assistant participates in the provision of safe, competent, patient or family centered ethical care, ensuring goals and needs of the patient are prioritized and individualized. The Pharmacy Practice Assistant prepares, packages and dispenses medication under the direct supervision of a Pharmacist. Responsibilities include packaging of sterile and non-sterile dosage forms, dispensing drugs to inpatients and outpatients in unit dose, traditional and IVA systems, compounding sterile and non-sterile products, preparation of chemotherapy doses, distributing narcotics and participating in quality programs.
- Grade XII plus completion of a recognized Pharmacy Technician/Technology Program, accredited program preferred
- Licensure in Nova Scotia as a Pharmacy Technician ( NSCP) is an asset
- Two years as a pharmacy technician/pharmacy practice assistant experience, preferably in a hospital, an asset
- Knowledge of sterile technique and special precautions used with chemotherapy are an asset
- Experience in unit dose drug distribution systems, automation technology, decentralized medication dispensing cabinets, an asset
- Knowledge of medical terminology, inventory control and record keeping
- Demonstrated ability to perform mathematical calculations related to medications
- Knowledge of the law and regulations pertaining to the receipt, storage and distribution of prescription and narcotic drugs
- Basic typing skills or computer/keyboard experience; skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Hours of Work
Part-Time (50%), Short Assignment position; 37.5 hours biweekly
Assignment starting December 2019, ending June 2020. Dates are approximate and may be subject to change.
Pharmacy Practice Assistant
$21.2088 - $24.0256 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
- Criminal Record Check
- Proof of education & training certifications
- Proof of any additional required qualification
- Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
- Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
- Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Healthcare bargaining unit - CUPE position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/
Job Segment: Pharmacy, Medical, Counseling, Public Health, Healthcare