Senior Director of Governance
Department of Governance
The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq (The CMM) is a Tribal Council representing eight Mi'kmaq communities of mainland Nova Scotia. Our mission is to proactively promote and assist Mi'kmaq communities' initiatives towards self-determination and enhancement of community. The CMM is located in the Millbrook Mi'kmaw Community in Nova Scotia and has over 80 Employees. The CMM is currently looking for an energetic, mature and independent candidate to fill the role of Senior Director of Governance for the organization.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Senior Director of Governance will be responsible for advocating for and empower CMM Member Communities to respond to legislative changes and structural reform of several Federal mandates. This will include the need to understand the capacity and training needs of CMM's member communities to implement any changes having a direct impact at the community level. S/he will also be responsible for the operation of all programs and initiatives within the Department, which include but are not limited to, the following programs and services: the CMM Tripartite Secretariat and Forum Liaison; the Communities' Estates Program; Election services; specific claims; and, community bylaws support. S/he will plan for, develop and generate a strategic plan for the Department - this will include identifying and acquiring existing resources and coordinating the efforts in its development. The Senior Director of Governance will also prepare and recommend budgets; plan and maintain systems and procedures for operating efficiency; and, supervise and manage Departmental staff.
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years relevant working experience.
- Must have a post-secondary degree in a related field. Ability to apply creativity and innovative thinking to community focused solutions
- Highly skilled in areas of planning, analysis and presentation
- Proven leadership capacity and management skills.
- Knowledge of federal and provincial legislation, programs and services relative to Tribal Organizations
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Nova Scotia's Mi'kmaw community, its political framework, and administrative/service Programs.
- Knowledge of Human Resources management, financial management, and project management.
- Computer literacy and proficiency in financial management, e-mail and internet software, Microsoft Word, Power Point, Word perfect and Adobe Acrobat.
- Strong ability to organize effectively, delegate responsibility, solve problems quickly and communicate clearly.
- Desirable personal characteristics include adaptability, ethical behaviour and strategic thinking.
- Must have a good understanding of the Indian Act and Mi'kmaq Aboriginal and Treaty rights.
- Must have reliable transportation, drivers' license and the ability to travel.
Salary range: $65,000-$75,000/year based on qualifications and experience. This is a permanent fulltime position subject to the policies and practice of the CMM. The CMM offers a substantial benefits package to all employees.
Application Deadline: September 27, 2019 by 4:00 PM
Submit Resume to:
Michelle Hepworth, Office Manager
c/o The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq
PO Box 1590, Truro, Nova Scotia B2N 5V3
We are an equal opportunity employer; however, qualified Aboriginal applicants will be given priority in accordance with the Aboriginal Employment Preference Policy of the Canadian Human Rights Commission. Only those applicants who qualify for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate may be required to submit a current criminal record check.