Maritime Environmental Engineer
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
MARITIME ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEER
Irving Shipbuilding Inc., located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defence.
The Maritime Environmental Engineer will fulfill a key role in the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Technical Cross Product Team, serving as the Program's Product Environmental Subject Matter Expert. Reporting to the Engineering Manager - Safety and Certification, the successful candidate will be required to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to define and execute the Environmental Program, develop the Environmental Case, and coordinate Environmental Certification. Areas of knowledge and experience are required in, but not limited to:
- Environmental Engineering
- Naval Systems
- Lloyd's Register Classification
- Environmental Hazard/Impact Identification and mitigation
- Environmental Case development
Requirements, Knowledge & Skills:
- Qualifications/training related to Environmental Engineering.
- A minimum of five years' experience in the following fields:
- Environmental Engineering in large and complex maritime (preferably Defence) acquisition projects involving coordination between multiple organizations
- Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including customers
- Excellent time management, and written and oral communication skills.
- A minimum of three years' experience in:
- Application of Classification Society rules, e.g. Lloyd's Register
- Application of International Maritime Organisation (IMO) Conventions, e.g. MARPOL
- Develop the Environmental aspects of the Safety and Environmental Management Plan.
- Execute and coordinate the Safety and Environmental Program in accordance with the Safety and Environmental Management System, Safety and Environmental Management Plan, Regulatory and Statutory requirements, and ISI/DND Policy.
- Coordinate Environmental Certification in accordance with the Certification Plan.
- Provide technical expertise in support of the development, documentation, and evaluation of deliverables related to Environmental Engineering and Certification.
- Provide support in evaluating Engineering Change to ensure that impacts, risks, and issues related to design, integration, test, and acceptance activities are identified, communicated and recorded.
- Develop the Environmental Case in accordance with the Safety and Environmental Management Plan.
- Develop subcontractor environmental requirements.
- Provide Environmental Engineering input to applicable Working Groups, including the Safety and Environmental, and Certification Working Groups.
- Plan and conduct Environmental Hazard/Impact assessments.
- Undertake Product/System Safety activities as directed by the Engineering Manager.
- Promote a positive Product Safety and Environmental Culture within the Project.
- Support a culture of collaboration, enthusiasm and a proactive nature within the Project.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be a role model for professional behavior.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here .
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.