Department Manager, Produce - Relocation Required
Department Manager, Produce
"Must be able to relocate to remote and rural communities in difficult-to-reach markets in the Northern most regions of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Nunavut and Northwest Territories"
Do you live and breathe merchandising? Your ability to successfully adapt to over/under situations compels your daily evaluations of expanding displays to spur sales and cut back on others and that makes you a great candidate for us, The North West Company (NWC). We're hiring Department Managers, Produce for our Northern and NorthMart stores.
Ready to embrace your direction? Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture. You must be able to re-locate to remote regions in Northern Canada. You receive benefits such as subsidized housing and food allowance, paid vacation travel, bonus and profit sharing opportunities, ability to bank what you earn and more! We even have, and encourage, employment opportunities for spouses.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information. Go North.
- Ensure produce displays are per marketing plan-o-grams;
- Demonstrate exceptional product knowledge, including awareness of product changes, promotions, and seasonal trends
- Order, receive, organize, rotate, merchandise and present products and stock in accordance with company standards
- Oversee the correct cost landing of all invoices and adjust items, such as retail prices, to maintain grossprofit margins;
- Supervise and train staff, and schedule staff as required;
- Ensure produce is presented to achieve maximum sales/ profits and follow correct stock rotation;
- Responsible to achieve budget sales and gross margin;
- Ensure Produce Department is ready for business according to the needs of target customers, and departmental readiness is maintained throughout the day, including the availability of "always in stock" items;
- Control inventory level by ordering product weekly;
- Maintain efficiency and growth of the Produce Department through pro-active planning;
- Participate in advertising campaigns and strategies; and
- Ensure gross profit is monitored and variances are investigated and addressed.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- A minimum of 2-3 years of leadership experience overseeing a team, ideally in a retail environment;
- Able to plan and direct business operations and solve business-related problems;
- Successful experience managing inventory, profit margins, and labour budgets;
- Ability to read and prepare reports and business communications;
- Clear and effective communicator with strongly demonstrated merchandising skills;
- Demonstrated ability to mentor others;
- Highly motivated with a passion to bring our communities products and services to live better;
- Know the costs of goods;
- Understand how to schedule labour to meet the needs of the department;
- Strong organizational skills with a demonstrated passion for retail; and
- Ability to inspect, correctly store, and rotate produce upon receipt, and maintain inventory control.
Positions will be advertised externally; however internal candidates will receive first consideration based on qualifications. NWC employees are encouraged to bring forward applications of external candidates that meet the qualifications of this position.
NOTE: If an existing employee is selected for a posted position they will be required to remain in that position a minimum of one year prior to applying for other posted positions unless authorized by their current supervisor. New employees to the company must also remain in their position a minimum of one year prior to applying for posted positions unless authorized by their supervisor.
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.