Department Manager, General Merchandise
Department Manager, General Merchandise
"Must be able to relocate to remote and rural communities in difficult-to-reach markets in the Northern most regions of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Nunavut and Northwest Territories"
In your role as a Department Manager, General Merchandise at The North West Company (NWC) you're responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the General Merchandise department, in a Northern or NorthMart store, ranging from managing company assets to our competitive position to local competition.
Ready to embrace your direction? Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture. You must be able to re-locate to remote regions in Northern Canada. You receive benefits such as subsidized housing and food allowance, paid vacation travel, bonus and profit sharing opportunities, ability to bank what you earn and more! We even have, and encourage, employment opportunities for spouses.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information. Go North.
- Ensure product is presented to achieve maximum sales/ profits and follow correct stock rotation;
- Ensure General Merchandise department is ready for business according to the needs of its target customers and departmental readiness is maintained throughout the day, including the availability of "always in stock" items;
- Ensure the daily operating disciplines are met consistently;
- Responsible for financial targets, merchandising and promotions, operational controls, customer relations, and inventory management.
- Plan and execute seasonal and promotional merchandising to achieve maximum sales, profits, and customer excitement;
- Ensure efficiency and growth of the General Merchandise Department through pro-active planning;
- Participate in advertising campaigns and strategies;
- Price all merchandise in accordance to marketing guidelines;
- Ensure product quality through correct ordering, receiving, handling, and rotation; and
- Monitor gross profit and investigate and address variances.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years' related experience or a combination of experience and a related education, such as accounting, finance, management, marketing, merchandising, business, and economics;
- Retail management is required;
- You're a great communicator, looking to improve the General Merchandise department and store, share ideas, and put your ideas into action while encouraging colleagues to do the same;
- Relevant department experience is an asset;
- Highly motivated with a passion to bring our communities products and services to live better;
- Ability to train and develop employees to leadership roles;
- Computer skills, including Excel;
- Ability to keep a competitive edge by monitoring trends, your publics, and customer needs;
- Organizational, with a strong ability to plan, execute, and prioritize tasks; and
- Ability to provide guidance and expertise required to ensure all departments attain or surpass their operating goals, adhere to company operating standards and disciplines, and work collaboratively to ensure optimal presentation and service to customers at all times.
Positions will be advertised externally; however internal candidates will receive first consideration based on qualifications. NWC employees are encouraged to bring forward applications of external candidates that meet the qualifications of this position.
NOTE: If an existing employee is selected for a posted position they will be required to remain in that position a minimum of one year prior to applying for other posted positions unless authorized by their current supervisor. New employees to the company must also remain in their position a minimum of one year prior to applying for posted positions unless authorized by their supervisor.
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.