Intermediate Group Underwriter
For over 75 years, Medavie Blue Cross has been a leading health and wellness partner for individuals, employers and governments across Canada. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization dedicated to giving back to the communities where we live and work, and to ensuring our employees thrive in our award-winning, collaborative culture. We are one of Canada's Most Admired Corporate Cultures and are recognized as a Caring Company, a designation for national leaders in community investment and social responsibility.
Our team of 2,100 professionals work across six provinces. We excel by living our shared values of being caring, accountable, responsible, innovative and community-minded. We're committed to ensuring the health and wellness of our employees and their families, along with personal and professional growth, through a variety of programs and support at all levels of our organization.
Along with Medavie Health Services, we are part of Medavie - a national health organization with over 6,400 employees. Together, our mission is to improve the wellbeing of Canadians.
Job Title: Intermediate Group Underwriter Department: Group Underwriting, Ontario Competition: 5361 Internal/External: Internal/External Employment Type: Full Time, Permanent Location: Etobicoke Salary: Comprehensive Compensation Reports To: Manager, Group Underwriting
In the role of Intermediate Group Underwriter in our Etobicoke office, you will work with the Group Underwriting team to ensure Medavie Blue Cross achieves its financial targets on the group health, life and disability income lines of business.
- Establishment of renewal pricing which includes analysis of experience/trend to justify the reasons behind the renewal and to recommend pricing alternates. This also encompasses responding to client inquiries relating to pricing and experience;
- Establishment of rates for new group business and respond to financial questions within the specifications;
- Prepare financial statements for ASO and Retention groups in accordance with financial agreements;
- Draft and update financial agreements;
- Ensuring underwriting targets are met for growth and profitability;
- Development and ongoing maintenance of direct relationships with clients and producers; and
- Continuous dealings with internal sales staff and other internal customers (ie: Case Management, Group Admin), the agent/broker/consultant network and policyholders.
Education : Post-secondary education in the field of business administration, mathematics, actuarial science, statistics or computer science.
Work Experience : Minimum of three years in Group Underwriting experience.
Computer Skills : Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite specifically Excel and Word.
Language Skills : Bilingualism (French and English) is considered an asset.
- Enjoy working in a team-based environment;
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal;
- Self-directed with high levels of personal accountability and responsibility;
- Excellent reasoning, judgment and decision-making abilities;
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail;
- Excellent Time-management skills and ability to work in a fast paced environment involving multiple tasks and priorities; and
- Strong negotiation skills.
If you are interested in working with a team of professionals in a challenging role and you possess the necessary qualifications, please follow the instructions for applying online via the Medavie Blue Cross Corporate website by clicking on Apply Now.
Canadian Citizenship - Please indicate in your application the reason you are entitled to work in Canada: Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or work permit.
Reliability screening will be required.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code , Medavie Blue Cross will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Medavie Blue Cross Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act .
We would like to thank all candidates for expressing interest. Please note only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Medavie Blue Cross is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Segment: Underwriter, Developer, Computer Science, Actuarial, Accounting, Insurance, Technology, Finance