Registered Nurse - Mental Health Inpatient Unit - Mental Health & Addictions
Req ID: 37942
Location: NorthernZone,Colchester East Hants Health Centre
Department: 3003193 MHA NZ Psych Inpatient Unit CRH
Type of Employment: CasualHourly PT long-assignment (60%FTE) x 1position(s)
Union Status: Nursing Bargaining Unit - NSNU
Posting Closing Date: 27-Oct-19
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
The Registered Nurse practices within the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia, CRNNS Standards of Nursing Practice for Registered Nurses and the Canadian Nurses Association Code of Ethics, is responsible and accountable for the nursing care of an assigned group of patients and their families; provides guidance and leadership to peers and other staff; works in a collaborative relationship with colleagues, unit staff, students and members of related health disciplines.
Working as a member of an interdisciplinary team, the Registered Nurse will provide care to clients on the psychiatric unit, utilizing expertise in patient and family centered mental health nursing. The Registered Nurse will assess behavior, and, with the patient's collaboration, devise a care plan and implement interventions that are adapted to each patient's recovery. The RN will be available for meetings with family and community members to plan a smooth discharge and return to the community.
The Registered Nurse will facilitate group meetings, coordinate patient care and act as a member of the facility's code white team as part of their daily assignment. Strong critical thinking skills, problem solving skills, and enhanced communication skills are required to enable clients to recover to an optional level.
Please Note: This is a reposting; previous applicants need not reapply
- Current registration or eligibility with the Nova Scotia College of Nurses (NSCN) required
- Nursing diploma required; Bachelor Degree in nursing preferred
- One year of recent/continuous work experience in a Mental Health environment preferred
- Completion of post diploma Mental Health Nursing Education preferred (i.e. completion of "Short Term Clinical Program in Mental Health Nursing" or "certificate of completion of a clinical major in Mental Health Nursing from a University" or "Psychiatric/Mental Health Certification" through the Canadian Nurses Association" or "Promoting Recovery in Mental Health" through RNPDC)
- Current Heart & Stroke BCLS (Level C) Certification required.
- Certification in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention or willingness to obtain within 3 months of obtaining position
- Education in concurrent disorders an asset
- Knowledge or experience in leading Therapeutic Group Work an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
- Successful external applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment
Please Note: Applicants relying on equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information
Hours of Work
- Long assignment part-time 60% position; 45 hours biweekly
- Beginning as soon as possible for approximately 18 months
$34.3461 - $40.4660 hourly
With 25 years of nursing experience $41.8822 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
- Criminal Record Check
- Proof of education & training certifications
- Proof of any additional required qualification
- Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
- Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
- Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Nursing bargaining unit - NSNU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/
Job Segment: Medical, Psychology, Nursing, Counseling, Registered Nurse, Healthcare