Nurse Practitioner - Regional
Nurse Practitioner - Regional
Permanent Full time
Mental Health and Addictions
Opioid Dependency Treatment (ODT)
Location: Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL
Labrador-Grenfell Health is an integrated health authority in Newfoundland and Labrador, employing approximately 1,500 dedicated employees and providing quality health and community services to a population of 37,000 people. The authority operates twenty-two facilities, including three hospitals, three community health centres, 14 community clinics and two long-term care facilities in Northern Newfoundland and Labrador. The vision of Labrador-Grenfell Health is healthy people living in healthy community. In the Indigenous communities, Labrador-Grenfell Health is joined by the Nunatsiavut Government, two Innu Band Councils, NunatuKavut, Health Canada and private practitioners in delivering community health programs that meet the health needs of residents.
Reporting to the Regional Director of Mental Health and Addictions, the Nurse Practitioner is responsible for providing opioid dependency treatment, addictions and mental health treatment and withdrawal management treatment to individuals of all ages with complex addictions and mental health needs. The Nurse Practitioner is an integral member of the multidisciplinary treatment team which will use evidence-based approaches for the treatment of substance use. The duties will include diagnosing conditions, prescribing medications including Methadone and Suboxone, performing or ordering diagnostic tests and treatments, evaluating treatments and providing follow-up care in liaison with the primary care physician, and other professionals. The Nurse Practitioner will provide comprehensive and holistic nursing care to clients including health promotion, injury and illness treatment and prevention, supportive, curative and rehabilitative care. The successful candidate must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for promoting and supporting person- and family-centered care, and partner with all team members to improve worker and patient safety by integrating safety into work practices, identifying risks and implementing improvements.
As governed by provincial regulations, he/she practices in collaboration with the primary care physicians, psychiatrists, and other professionals to ensure comprehensive treatment for individuals experiencing addictions. As we continue to implement other recommendations from "Towards Recovery: The Mental Health and Addictions Action Plan for Newfoundland and Labrador", the incumbent will assume other responsibilities. The Nurse Practitioner will work with the multidisciplinary team to develop policy and procedures, as the ODT program is a new initiative for Labrador-Grenfell Health.
- Current licensure with the Association of Registered Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador (ARNNL) or eligible for licensure
- Graduation from an approved nurse practitioner education program
- Minimum of five years' experience working with clients with addictions at the Nurse Practitioner level
- Current BLS certification
- Ability to prescribe Methadone and Suboxone or willingness to complete the required training
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, problem solving, and risk management
- Demonstrated leadership, professional and ethical conduct and interpersonal skills for patients, health care professionals and the public
- Demonstrated exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in an interdisciplinary team environment
- A valid Newfoundland and Labrador Driver's License and the use of a private vehicle are conditions of employment
- A satisfactory record of work performance and attendance is required for this position
- A satisfactory certificate of conduct
- Completion of CAN certification in psychiatry is preferred
- NS-35 of the RNUNL salary scales $41.87 - $51.92 per hour plus the Applicable Labrador Allowance.
Hours of Work:
- 75 hours bi-weekly (Variable Shifts)
This posting is open to male and female applicants.
Interested applicants please submit resume, stating competition number 2019000149N to:
Labrador - Grenfell Regional Health Authority
PO Box 7000, Stn. C
Goose Bay, NL A0P 1C0
Tele: (709) 897-2164 Fax: (709) 896-4741
Apply online at www.careers.lhgealth.ca