Procurement Category Manager
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
PROCUREMENT CATEGORY MANAGER
Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company's commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
The Procurement Category Manager will work as part of the Supply Chain Management team responsible for developing and executing the category strategy for the new build program. You will be responsible for the shaping of the category strategy, and design and development of your team in support of complex shipbuilding programs for the Canadian Navy.
This is a fulltime, permanent staff role located in Halifax N.S.
- 7-10 years' experience in the Supply Chain field including 3-5 years' experience in a similar role in major equipment, defence or related industry
- 3-5 years' experience in a leadership capacity
- Experience working with long term multi-million dollar contracts involving complex risk management and high technology systems
- Proven track record in developing high performing category strategies that delivered sustainability, and value for money in a high complexity, high value, low volume production organisations.
- Demonstrable background in exploiting technology solutions to deliver best in class procurement solutions.
- Good analysis and presentation abilities, able to communicate across organisational levels
- Professional expertise and leadership, with strong attention to detail
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Influence the business relationships that we have with the category of suppliers
- Execute the business objectives by working proactively with team and peer groups
- Develop a contracting and relationship strategy with suppliers including RFx solicitation documentation
- Devise appropriate contracting strategies and agreements for program delivery and management of business risk
- Build and maintain a high performing relationship at all levels between the business and the major sub-contractors
- Continually seek and implement improvement opportunities within the scope of the supplier relationships
- Compliance with all applicable legislation including health and safety
- Build an environment that ensures people follow sound and ethical business practices
- Build a culture of team engagement in "finding a better way every day", based on internal innovation and external best practices
- Lead change initiatives that will last, and effectively build employee buy in; motivate and inspire others in change
- Anticipate risk and ensure it is managed; proactively ensure implementation of solutions to potential problems
- Apply strategic insight into business measures and competitive and industry practices to build/maintain market leadership position
- Apply sound knowledge of the business/industry in making decisions and formulating strategies
- Build culture where meeting customers' expectations is a top priority
- Set direction to ensure appropriate balance between meeting customer needs and business needs
- Communicate clearly and professionally with all levels of the organization; reinforce an environment of open and respectful expression
- Engage in active listening, deliver effective feedback, and incorporate input appropriately into decisions
- Ensure people plans are in place to build capability for current and future business needs; is self-aware and builds personal capability
- Reinforce an environment where planned results are always expected and performance is coached and managed appropriately
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary commensurate with the experience of the Candidate and benefits package including but not limited to medical, dental and vision.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.