Continuous Improvement Engineer
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT ENGINEER/SPECIALIST
Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company's commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
This Continuous Improvement role will work as part of the Centralized Governance team to facilitate continuous improvement activities including the project management of an individual or portfolio of projects. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Leading organization change in the execution of continuous improvement projects within or across departments at Irving Shipbuilding
- Coach and assist shipyard employees in the adoption/use of Lean Six Sigma techniques and performance management (e.g. 5S, Kaizen Events, Value Stream Mapping etc.),
- Standardize (document) and Stabilize (reduce variation) processes through the creation/adoption of process maps, procedures and work instructions,
- Working with other departmental improvement resources or project managers to help drive process improvement activity throughout the organization and value streams,
- Facilitate different improvement efforts as required (e.g. 5S workshop, cost benefit analysis, SMED activity, shop floor rebalancing)
- Collect, scope, prioritize and conduct business case analyses for continuous improvement opportunities,
- Be a subject matter expert in project management techniques including the use of performance dashboards and the management of a portfolio of projects.
Lead Organizational Change activities,
Creation of Standard Work (e.g. Procedures),
Support performance management efforts including the capture of metrics, opportunities for improvement & norms,
Conduct process mapping and value stream mapping,
Idea and Innovation scoping and chartering
Coaching in Continuous Improvement Techniques
- Project Management
Requirements - Knowledge & Skills:
- Education Required: Post-Secondary Degree (Degrees related to engineering, supply chain management or manufacturing are preferred
- Years of Experience Required: Minimum of 2 year's experience working in a similar role,
- Experience in leading problem-solving activities from identification, analysis through to resolution,
- Strong computer skills and experience
- Strong knowledge of the following Programs is a requirement: MS SharePoint, MS Excel, MS Access, MS Word, MS Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat,
- Must have excellent communication skills (written and spoken),
- Coaching and/or leadership experience (influencing people where you do not have direct authority),
- Must be flexible and feel comfortable with prioritizing workloads and multi-tasking to meet tight deadlines,
- Must work well in a team environment.
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary commensurate with the experience of the Candidate and benefits package including but not limited to medical, dental and vision.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
Applications received after the deadline may not be considered. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.