Agricultural Research & Development Manager
Cavendish Farms in New Annan, PE
AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
Cavendish Farms is a leading producer of frozen food products in markets throughout Canada, the United States, and around the world...and we're still growing. We've got a Head Office in Dieppe, NB with Sales Offices located in Toronto, Montreal and Boston. We're a company that rewards performance and initiative, looking for people who deserve to be recognized for rolling up their sleeves' and getting the job done.
Reporting to : Director of Research, Breeding and Seed Development
Main Purpose - responsible to create synergies and develop new agricultural products and practices to support potato commercial program. Need to establish strategic collaboration projects with public and private Agricultural Research institutes to look for top technologies available to support Cavendish Farms business. Manage the variety development program, provide technical support to growers and establishment of innovative projects.
Responsibilities:- in charge of 3 main platforms: Technical Support, Variety Development of new processing potato varieties, transfer new techniques for seed and commercial production.
- Development of new processing potato varieties, transfer new techniques for seed and commercial production.
- Work with private and public breeding institutions to obtain new promising potato varieties for testing and distribution to growers.
- Manages and directs the research and development programs to meet organizational needs and to capitalize on potential new products.
- Develops and implements research and development procedures and techniques.
- Oversees complex research projects, analyzes results and provides recommendations based on findings.
- Manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs.
- Implement protocols, screen and qualify new potato varieties to get more adapted varieties with high field yield potential to support the business on raw material cost reduction.
- Training and coaching of human capital; spread culture of team work and collaboration, sharing good practices, technical and business information to the Team.
- Manage the Ag Research Program, conducting research trials, reporting all technical advances, new technologies and products to generate solutions to potato production system.
- Maintain key relationships with Federal and State public institutions, in order to import or export new varieties for testing.
- Establishment of best agricultural practices to optimize field productivity and quality.
- Assesses the scope of research projects and ensures they are on time and within budget.
- Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets.
Accountabilities - Ag. R&D manager is responsible for two direct reports (full-time) and seasonal labour.
Key Skills/Experience Required - For this position is important to have bachelor Degree in Agriculture or similar, strong leadership skills, technical and business knowledge. Ability to take decisions. To be successful as a research and development manager, it is important to be able to see the big picture as you will have to envision projects from start to finish. At the same time, having a keen ability to pay attention to details is important, as the manager need to closely supervise every step of the development process for new products or technologies. Leadership and managerial skills are also important in this role, as well as the ability to communicate well with directors, colleagues and lower level staff. A strong sense of creativity will also aid in the process of thinking of new product ideas and solving problems creatively.
A requirement of role is to be able to meet deadlines and deal with pressure, particularly around planting and harvesting seasons. Also coaching staff and helping them deal with pressures associated with the seasons is also required.
The role requires balancing and juggling of priorities as it relates to both field and office work and the time spent between the two.
Role can require extended hours during planting and harvesting, which can include weekend work and trips inside and outside of Canada.
Main interactions within & outside organization - This position has monthly contact with other Cavendish Farms Departments as well as other Irving group companies (Cavendish Agri-services, Woodlands). Frequent collaboration with public (PEI Potato Board, PEI Department of Agriculture, Ag Canada, universities) and private researchers, consultants and companies.
Comments - For this position is important to work with a cross-functional business team to provide a robust service to the strategic potato supply program.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please apply online by March 3rd, 2020.
We appreciate your interest in our company! Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Cavendish Farms Corporation is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.