General Accounting Supervisor
At Marine Atlantic, we do so much more than get people from point A to point B. Whether it's reunions, long-awaited trips home, or the start of a new adventure, we bring people together. We couldn't bring people together every day without our own dedicated employees. Our employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
Marine Atlantic has immediate opening a General Accounting Supervisor to work with our Finance department located in Port aux Basque, NL.
The Finance and accounting group processes all payroll, payables and receivables; generates and distributes performance reports; compiles required Federal government reports and controls the company's cash and financial instruments. The department also assists in preparing budgets, corporate plans and various analyses and supports other departments with their financial and administrative needs. The department oversees the treasury, accounting operations, budget, tax, fixed assets financial administration, internal and external reporting, financial planning and advisory and external audit activities of the entire organization.
Reporting directly to the Corporate Accountant, this position assists in the general accounting function of the Corporate Accounting Department which consists of Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and G/L processing. The General Accounting Supervisor is the person responsible for overseeing the accounting staff to ensure the timely and accurate processing of information.
The incumbent is also responsible for preparing monthly analysis and assisting the Corporate Accountant in research and analysis in preparation of monthly financial statements and performance books.
Additional Key Areas of Responsibility
- Performs traffic reconciliation.
- Performs HST analysis and prepares allocation and self-assessment journal entries in preparation for the rebate returns.
- Communicates with internal and external parties in regards to accounting functions and procedures.
- Works closely with purchasing department and vendors to ensure accounts payable functions are completed accurately and modify accrual list where necessary.
- Monitors and reconciles fuel inventory as provided by the maintenance department and the various vessels.
- Monitors cash handling procedures as performed by vessel and terminal staff and perform periodic cash audits.
- Monitors and maintains budget reports, budget cash flow reports and variance report as received from department managers.
- Performs special projects as required.
- Promotes a safe working environment.
- Assists in the accomplishment of company objectives by performing other related duties as required.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity?
Education and Experience
- Business Degree with a concentration in Accounting.
- 3 years of of experience in a related position.
- A combination of equivalent education, job-related training, and work experience in a related position.
- Strong accounting and supervisory background.
- Advanced knowledge with Microsoft Office programs such as Excel.
- Working toward an accounting designation (CA, CGA, CMA) or willing to work towards one.
Why work for the Marine Atlantic team?
As part of the Marine Atlantic team, you will participate in a variety of ongoing training programs and development opportunities to navigate your career and chart your course for success. We provide a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include competitive salaries, defined benefit pension plan, comprehensive health benefit packages, and professional development opportunities. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for the future.
How do I become a part of the team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online before 4 pm (Atlantic Time) on 24 July 2019.
All applicants must apply online:
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from Women, Indigenous People, Persons with Disabilities, Visible Minorities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. If you are a member of one of these groups, we invite you to self-identify on your application, cover letter or resume.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department (firstname.lastname@example.org).