Who We Are
Vale is one of the world's largest mining companies, with a presence in more than 30 countries across five continents worldwide. Our mission is to transform natural resources into prosperity and sustainable development.
Vale is also the world's largest producer of nickel, with its Base Metals business headquartered in Toronto. Operating in Canada for more than 100 years, our Canadian operations also produce copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver. We aim to produce profitably but only as a safe, high-quality and sustainable mining company where our most important value is "life matters most". We are an equal opportunity employer who recognizes and promotes diversity in our work force.
Vale's operations in Sudbury are home to one of the largest integrated mining complexes in the world, including six mines, a mill, a smelter and a refinery. It is also one of the safest, with the mines being awarded the national John T. Ryan award in several recent consecutive years. Sudbury is also the heart of Vale's environmental initiatives. In partnership with the community, Sudbury has made great strides in its environmental recovery program and through improved mining practices and support in the re-greening of the region. For these and other efforts globally, in 2013 Vale was named one of the 50 most sustainable corporations in the world, according to the 9th edition of the Global 100 list of the world's most sustainable corporations.
Our Sudbury Operations is currently seeking a:
To continuously improve the work team performance through effective use of established processes and procedures in achieving assigned objectives. Improve the effectiveness of the front-line team while meeting the business objectives. This includes ensuring the completion of assigned work with consistency and accuracy.
- Ensure that all team members reporting to him/her in the workplace take responsibility for aspects of the Occupational Health and Safety over which they have control including adherence to all Occupational Health and Safety requirements.
- Demonstrate commitment to the continued improvement of the Occupational Health and Safety Performance
- Hold crew accountable for area safety behavior, housekeeping, teamwork and professionalism
- Ensures all work is in compliance with stated procedures.
- Supervise the production work components of the FLP&S (Front Line Planning & Scheduling) business process
- Carryout tasks as assigned by the Superintendent or his/her designate to achieve the desired results within an agreed upon timeline and end state
- Work within budget, guidelines and standards to execute Safety and Production Plans as established by the Superintendent or his/her designate
- Foster a climate of safety, mutual trust, and respect among all members of his/her team and promote pride in work by looking after the workplace and equipment
- Work collectively with peers and cross functionally with colleagues in engineering, maintenance, and services to achieve the objectives of the plant.
- Focus on results
The ideal candidate will have a College Diploma in mineral processing, chemical technology or a minimum Grade 12 with equivalent experience.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of experience in mineral processing or chemical processing environments, including some time leading a crew.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Hold people accountable for working within boundaries of Home Safe
- Ability to decipher and prioritize multiple tasks
- Verbal and written communication: the candidate must be able to accurately inform, capture interest and gain support in a clear and concise manner.
- Health Safety and Environment: The Candidate must be able to recognize, prioritize, and understand the controls required to mitigate risks in the workplace.
- Judgment: the candidate must be able to consider the situation, the issues and the people involved. This involves identifying, defining and analyzing problems or situations. It also involves the use of reason and the formulation of viable solutions and potential improvements.
- Courage: must be able to demonstrate a reasonable trust in personal abilities
- Business sense: must be able to use the formal and informal technical and human resources systems and contacts, including supervisors, managers, departments, etc., to achieve needed results
The posting expires end of day, August 2nd.
Please be advised that only those applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act , accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.