Weapons Systems and Magazines Safety Specialist
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
WEAPONS SYSTEMS AND MAGAZINES SAFETY SPECIALIST
Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company's commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
The Weapon Systems and Magazines Safety Specialist will fulfill a key role in the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Technical Cross Product Team. This position will report to the Engineering Manager - Safety and Certification, and will work collaboratively with the Combat Systems and Platform Systems teams to develop and implement the Weapon System Safety Programme.
This role requires a breadth of knowledge across the platform, associated systems and National Statutory requirements. Areas of knowledge and experience are required in, but not limited to:
- Weapon System and Magazine design
- Weapons, Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives Safety
- Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation to Ordnance (HERO)
- System Hazard Identification and Safety Control Development
- Safety Case development - Focus on Weapon Systems & Magazine Safety
- Safety Verification & Validation techniques
- System Risk Assessments - Magazines Construction, Weapons System Installation & Test
- Safety at sea (Preparation for Sea Trials)
- Support the development of the Weapon System Safety Programme in accordance with Regulatory and Statutory requirements, and DND Policy.
- Ensure that physical and functional interfaces of all weapon systems, magazines and ammunition handling systems are identified, defined and approved via Interface Control Documents.
- Provide technical expertise in support of the development, documentation, and evaluation of deliverables related to the requirements definition, design, integration, and test of all weapon systems, magazines, ammunition handling systems and ammunition routes.
- Provide support in evaluating Engineering Change to ensure that impacts, risks, and issues related to design, integration, test, and acceptance activities are identified, communicated and recorded.
- Develop the Safety Case for their technical area, in accordance with identified standards and the Safety and Environmental Management System.
- Develop subcontractor safety and environmental requirements.
- Technical input to applicable Working Groups, including the Safety and Environmental, and Hazard Identification Working Groups.
- Conduct Hazard Identification, Analysis and Risk Assessment.
- Promote positive Safety and Environmental Culture within the Project.
- Support a culture of collaboration, enthusiasm and a proactive nature within the Project.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be a role model for professional behavior.
- Post-Secondary education in an Engineering discipline.
- A minimum of three years' experience in the following fields:
- Engineering in large and complex defense acquisition projects involving coordination between multiple organizations;
- Design, integration, inspection, test and certification of naval weapon systems and magazines
- Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including customers
- Explosives Safety Management
- Excellent time management, and written and oral communication skills.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.