Equity Research Analyst
CIBC in Toronto, ON
CIBC is a leading Canadian-based global financial institution. Through our three major businesses - Retail and Business Banking, Wealth Management and Capital Markets - we provide a full range of financial products and services to 11 million individual, small business, commercial, corporate and institutional clients in Canada and around the world. We invest in our businesses, our clients, our people and our communities to deliver consistent and sustainable earnings to our shareholders. To learn more about CIBC's Lines of Business, please visit our website .
CIBC delivers access to career and development opportunities, safe and healthy workplaces, effective training, and positive work-life balance - so that employees are able to perform at their best, contribute to their communities and focus on cultivating deeper relationships with our clients.
Every year, CIBC is recognized for its business successes , community commitment and employee initiatives. We are proud of these successes and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace and an environment where all employees can excel.
CIBC Asset Management Inc. (CAM) is one of the largest asset managers in Canada, with a 40 year history of active management. With over $100 billion in assets under management, we are leaders in providing a broad range of high-quality global investment management solutions to retail and institutional clients. Our investment capabilities include fixed income, equities, asset allocation and currency management.
Our assets include those under institutional money management for pension funds, endowments and insurance funds, private wealth management, and those that are part of the CIBC family of mutual funds such as CIBC Mutual Funds and Renaissance Investments family of funds and the CIBC family of managed portfolio solutions such as Managed Portfolio Services (MPS), Personal Portfolio Services (PPS), Frontiers Pools, Axiom Portfolios, and Sequence Portfolios. CIBC Asset Management is part of the CIBC Wealth Management group.
At CIBC Asset Management, our goal is to help our clients achieve what matters to them. Our philosophy is based on the CIBC values of Trust, Teamwork, and Accountability and we achieve results for our clients through an in-depth disciplined investing approach based on rigor and research.
To learn more about the CIBC Group of Companies please visit CIBC.com .
This role is a critical driver of CAM equity security selection. The Equity Research Analyst is a member of the Portfolio Management & Research (PM&R) team, reporting to the Head of Equity Research, and is responsible for the development and maintenance of investment research including financial models and investment theses for a select group of North American companies. Through ongoing dialogue with our more senior Equity Research Analysts as well as Equity Portfolio Managers and Portfolio Analysts, the recommendations emanating from this research will drive investment decisions across a diverse group of portfolio strategies (Core, Value, Income-Oriented, Quality, and Growth)
What You'll Be Doing
- The incumbent is accountable for the development of actionable investment recommendations within the predetermined North American sectors. Underweight/Overweight recommendations and timely changes thereto for specified sector companies are to be clearly articulated and well-founded.
- Support senior analysts in company analysis which includes financial modeling, industry analysis as well as attendance in company management meetings and industry conferences.
- CAM's Investment Research platform incorporates internally generated financial models and thesis statements with a view to capturing the mispriced alpha opportunity. The incumbent is to develop and maintain an accurate research platform with models and forward-looking estimates for the relevant companies.
- Responsible for preparing and presenting highly regarded industry reviews which drive clear and actionable investment theses for the constituent companies and, possibly, other related sectors/companies.
- Engage in an open and ongoing dialogue with CAM Portfolio Managers and Portfolio Analysts to ensure that the best ideas are incorporated into the respective portfolios.
- Seek avenues to develop a close working relationship with CAM team members to develop industry theses, thematic pieces, and to promote and utilize a common research framework.
- Work collaboratively with the Asset Allocation team, with respect to sector allocation analysis, and the credit analysts in the Fixed Income team with respect to company analysis.
- Present and communicate both internally, to the team and professional staff and externally, as appropriate, with prospects and clients of the firm.
- Accountable to ensure that the client's investment policies are not breached by investments that are out of the stated policy (consequences can range from loss of client funds or client business to reputational risk to CIBC).
What we're looking for
- Chosen candidates must be highly driven, intellectually curious, and willing to work closely with like-minded individuals.
- Four or more years of relevant research and analysis experience and/or portfolio management, including the Energy sector. Preference for experience in Pipelines/Midstream and Utilities sectors.
- Undergraduate, graduate and/or post-graduate degrees in management, finance, economics or a quantitative discipline
- Completion of CFA preferred or working toward CFA designation.
- Passion for financial markets and investment management process
- Quantitative skills relating to indicator and model development and familiarity with macro and micro economic data environments
- Proficient in computer modeling and spreadsheet analysis
- Work in a research team environment and work autonomously
- Communicate effectively orally and in written form; ability to understand/ explain/resolve complex issues; strong problem-solving and reasoning skills
- A strong sense of responsibility and reliability; thorough and results oriented
- Excellent influencing skills sufficient for processes related to mandating stock selection, investment strategy, and compliance issues
- Highest personal and professional integrity
What CIBC Can Offer You
- Flexible health benefits, stock purchase plan, competitive incentive pay and recognition programs
- Competitive salary and banking benefits
- Career growth, development and continuous learning opportunities
- Opportunity to be involved in CIBC events that help our communities
- Click to learn more about Rewards & Recognition , Learning & Development , and Employee Community Involvement
What You Need To Know
You must be legally eligible to work in Canada at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work permit or study permit that allows the candidate to fulfill the requirements of the role