Paralegal - Foreclosures
Why BOYNECLARKE LLP?
We are a dynamic, fast-growing full-service law firm located in downtown Dartmouth, with spectacular views of the Halifax Harbour. We understand that the success and well-being of our clients and our staff is often rooted in our shared community, that is why we are deeply invested in giving back. We strengthen and support our commitment to community through various programs and initiatives, including volunteer time programs, staff-driven initiatives, and casual days that support a different staff-selected charity each month. We also understand that work-life integration, health, and wellness play an important role in staffs' ability to be successful and maintain a healthy working environment. Through financial literacy programs, fitness classes, wellness subsidy program, and committee driven initiatives, we invest in maintaining an environment that our staff can thrive in.
Why this role?
We are seeking a highly motivated, attentive and adaptable individual to join Creditor Practice Team. Our ideal candidate values providing exceptional client service and is looking for a rewarding career contributing to the success of one of the Firms largest practice areas. You value process-based work with degrees of variability that will allow you to become a deeply valued subject matter expert within a specific function of your team. This position thrives on variety and process, enjoys continuous learning and development, and a combination of independent and team-based work.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
As a Paralegal, your responsibilities will include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Draft and prepare correspondence including pleadings, Affidavits and all related foreclosure documents for lawyer review;
- Prepare for Notices to be advertised in relevant newspapers and verify ads;
- Schedule mortgage auctions with various contacts; manage related timelines as required;
- Prepare detailed calculations, including calculation of bank's auction bids;
- Closely manage various deadlines including courts, lawyers, and financial institutions;
- Daily updating and monitoring of various on-line systems (highways) including financial institutions on both provincial and inter-provincial levels;
- Regular contact and interaction with bailiffs, court officials, property managers, insurers, and financial institutions;
- Coordinating all reporting requirements for clients and lawyers;
- Regular contact and follow up with clients and debtors;
- Provide file lawyer with status information updates and prepare for and attend regular file review meetings;
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of client/file information within the ProLaw database;
Qualifications and Skills
To be successful, you possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Graduate of a Paralegal diploma with any amount of years' experience or 10 years' equivalent experience without a diploma;
- Critical thinking, problem solving, and ability to make judgment calls;
- Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to check types material for grammatical, typographical, spells, word usage, and formatting errors)
- Ability to work independently and follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service;
- Propensity for contributing to a positive and collaborative culture;
- Technically adept using Outlook and Microsoft Suite, and an aptitude for learning new computer programs quickly;
- Strong ability to manage high-volume work and prioritize multiple deadlines;
- Proven ability to be self-motivated and accomplish work efficiently