(Full Time Position)
(Salary: Step I)
($1,957.93 - $2,139.48)
Competition # 5816-2.19
CUPE Local 1709
Reporting to the Manager of Dispatch Services, the incumbent receives and dispatches calls and enters the calls into a computer-based system according to specific directions and guidelines. The incumbent will work independently and exercise tact, judgment and discretion. The ability to work in a stressful environment and to prioritize multiple tasks is required.
- Enters, retrieves, updates, and queries accurate and timely data into the CAD, CPIC, and PORS systems.
- Responds calmly to all calls (telephone and radio) and dispatches emergency vehicles in accordance with specific departmental policy and computer operation guidelines.
- Monitors and takes appropriate action for all alarms received and acknowledged.
- Prepares reports for department as required.
- Provides information to the general public.
- May be required to perform quick and accurate assessments of emergency calls and able to handle stressful situations.
- Other duties as required.
- Ability to work in a team environment having a personal commitment to the teamwork concept. Maintaining a flexible attitude, contributing positively to the operation and have good interpersonal skills.
Education and Experience
Minimum prerequisite is a secondary education supplemented by courses in business, social science and/or computer, and one year of relevant experience. An equivalent combination of training and experience is acceptable.
Knowledge and Desired Skills
- Well developed interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Ability to communicate in both official languages to intermediate + level is required;
- Knowledge of the street system and geography of Fredericton, Oromocto and surrounding areas would be an asset;
- Well-developed computer skills, knowledge of Windows and keyboarding speed of 50+ wpm. Knowledge of computer aided dispatch applications and/or previous dispatch experience would be an asset;
- Must satisfactorily complete a security clearance process, psychological testing and hearing test;
- Satisfactorily complete computer testing using Criticall© Pre-employment Testing Software;
- Be physically and mentally able to work 12-hour rotating shifts including days, nights, weekends and statutory holidays - wearing headsets at all times while on duty;
- Have the ability to quickly and independently make immediate and logical decisions and take appropriate actions in a complex dynamic environment;
- Have the ability to multi-task under constant pressure in a high stress environment;
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal communication skills to deal with the public, allied agency personnel and co-workers;
- Demonstrate ability and dexterity in handling call-taking and dispatching functions using computer-aided dispatch, multi-line telephone and radio communications.
Interested individuals may apply in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30 pm on 2019 June 3rd.
Only those candidates chosen for testing will be contacted by email. Please ensure that your email is included on your resume.