Registered Nurse - Emergency Department, Glace Bay
Req ID: 32042
Location: EasternZone,Glace Bay Hospital
Department: 3000636 EMG Emergency GB
Type of Employment: PermanentHourly FT (100%FTE) x 5position(s)
Union Status: Nursing Bargaining Unit - NSNU
Posting Closing Date: 02-Sep-19
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Reporting to the Manager, Emergency Services, the Registered Nurse works as part of an interdisciplinary team and is responsible for providing care to a diverse patient population. He/she will have patient experiences across the spectrum of presentations. The successful applicant must contribute to creating a safe and healthy environment for patients, staff and others.
The Registered Nurse practices within the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia, CRNNS Standards of Nursing Practice for Registered Nurses and the Canadian Nurses Association Code of Ethics. The RN will demonstrate expertise and leadership in nursing practice and demonstrate ongoing commitment to maintaining appropriate clinical competencies required through educational sessions with clinical nurse educator, self- directed study, simulation, etc.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program
- Registered or eligible for licensure with the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia (CRNNS)
- Previous experience in an Emergency Department
- BLS-C (Basic Life Support - C)
- Required or must obtain within 1- 2 years of hire (depending on course availability and operational requirements) :
- CTAS (Canadian Triage and Acuity Scale)
- EPICC - Foundations (Emergency Practice, Interventions and Care - Canada)
- ACLS - Advanced Cardiac Life Support)
- PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support); EPICC - Pediatrics (Emergency Practice, Interventions and Care - Canada) or ENPC (Emergency Nurses Pediatric Course)
- Trauma course - EPICC - Trauma (Emergency Practice, Interventions and Care - Canada) or TNCC (Trauma Nursing Core Course)
- Emergency Nursing Program or Critical Care Nursing Program
- Where there are no applicants who meet the above qualifications, consideration may be given to applicants who agree to complete further training within two years' of hire date
- Two years acute care experience an asset
- ENC© Certification an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to interact positively with patients/residents, families, other health care provide and staff while demonstrating sensitivity, empathy and warmth
- Ability to demonstrate sound decision-making skills in emergency situations and be accountable for decisions
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team
- Commitment to promoting a culture that supports safety, ethical practices and organizational health
- Basic computer skills
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Please Note: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or missing information. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Hours of Work
- 5x Permanent Full Time; 75 hours bi-weekly
- Travel to other sites may be required due to operational requirements
$34.3461 - $40.4660 hourly
$41.8822 hourly with 25 years' nursing experience
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
- Criminal Record Check
- Proof of education & training certifications
- Proof of any additional required qualification
- Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
- Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
- Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Nursing bargaining unit - NSNU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/
Job Segment: Nursing, Emergency Medicine, Registered Nurse, Public Health, Counseling, Healthcare