POSITION: Mechanical Designer
DATE: May 2019
REPORTS TO: Director of Engineering
The primary objective of the Mechanical Designer is to implement, plan and design custom engineering projects using mechanical engineering skills and technological problem-solving that enables the incumbent to oversee simultaneous custom projects from conception to completion.
The incumbent is accountable to the Director of Engineering and is an integral member of the Engineering team. The Mechanical Designer is responsible for implementing engineering principles to Sparta's business and ensuring that the required level of engineering and know-how is used to complete the custom projects according to the project's requirements. The incumbent is accountable to design projects, reviewing product designs and make recommendations to ensure manufacturing and end-user operating targets are achieved. In addition, the Mechanical Designer participates in determining and improving methods, processes, equipment and technologies that enables the company to deliver projects on time and with the highest customer satisfaction possible.
NATURE AND SCOPE
The Mechanical Designer receives general supervision from the Director of Engineering. The incumbent relies on mechanical engineering experience, keen business acumen and reliable judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
The incumbent interacts effectively with the Engineering team, including Project Managers. Additionally, the Mechanical Designer interacts with Production team members as well as Sales team members to ensure end to end project design results meet and exceed customer expectations. The incumbent works well independently and collaborates successfully to carry out Design responsibilities.
- Understand all aspects of the business conducted at Sparta
- Develop project engineering objectives based on predefined customer strategy
- Define scope of engineering effort required to meet objectives
- Define engineering activities, sequences of events, dependencies and duration of tasks required to complete projects
- Adherence to established engineering workflow processes and procedures.
- Peer review and design reviews
- Periodic travel to support project managementand installation activities
- Advanced quality planning (as determined for each project.)
- Create bill of materials
- Review designs for compliance with customer specifications and company objectives
- Conforms to the usage of existing company standards
- Organize and actively participate in the project design review meetings
- Evaluate and approve design changes and drawing releases.
- Assist in constructing an engineering schedule from the macro schedule supplied by the Project Manager.
- Participate in the decision to engineer the job with internal or external engineering resources.
- Write and submit to Project Management "deviations" to the customer specifications as required.
- Monitor labor expenditures and write Engineering Changes to account for unanticipated costs overruns or customer driven changes.
- Work with various personnel assigned throughout all phases of the project.
- Recommend project personnel to specific phases or project tasks such as conceptual development, obtaining customer approval, material purchases, and where applicable layout, detailing and check.
- Monitor, coordinate and evaluate the efforts, progress and quality of external engineering resources.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluating the external supplier for compliance to applicable quality standards and program schedules
- Identifies engineering process improvements
- Demonstrates a high degree of loyalty to the company
- Demonstrates company values in actions and behavior
- Other duties as required
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Solid understanding of machine design concepts
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to evaluate the amount of time and resource required to do a task/project
- Familiarity with Solidworks software
- Excellent internal and external customer relationship building skills
- Attention to detail and consistent follow-through
- Can balance shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Excellent listening ability and exemplary written and oral communication skills
- Possess an exceptional level of professionalism, integrity, and customer focus
- High degree of energy, self-motivation, combined with effective organizational, time management skills and follow through ability
- Good business acumen, effective decision maker
- Ability to work well independently and in a high performance, fast-paced team environment
- Ability to prioritize and manage time to maximize productivity and effectiveness
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, with the ability to build and maintain strategic working relationships
- A tenacious, collaborative team approach
- Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering or strong design experience
- 5 + years direct work experience
- Fluent in both French and English (written and spoken)