Labour Relations Specialist
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
LABOUR RELATIONS SPECIALIST
Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company's commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
This is a permanent full time staff role based in Halifax NS.
Reporting to the Manager of Labour Relations, the Labour Relations Specialist is part of a dynamic, fast-paced and solutions-focused Labour Relations team. The LR Specialist assists the team in the daily completion of a broad range of labour relations functions and accountabilities through his/her active participation and support. We want someone who will bring their energy, ideas and enthusiasm to work each day and work tirelessly to make Irving Shipbuilding an employer of choice.
- Post-secondary education in Labour Relations/Human Resources/Law with a minimum of 3 years of labour relations experience within an industiral manufacturing environment
- Exceptional communication skills (both oral and written), including the demonstrated ability to handle challenging conversations as well as highly developed interpersonal skills necessary for effective mediations and conflict resolution
- Excellent documentation and file management skills.
- You are an intrinsically motivated professional who takes pride in quickly resolving workplace issues and disputes using a win-win approach.
- Given the expectations for labour relations team, you are flexible, adaptable and decisive.
- You are proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, Teams)
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
As a Labour Relations Specialist you will be involved and assist in:
- The daily administration of the Collective Agreement and counsel and consult with our people leaders on labour relations matters.
- The grievance resolution process, corrective actions and our attendance management program.
- Provide support to the administration of our workplace policies and statutory obligations.
- The probationary employee review process.
- Drafting corrective action letters, workplace agreements, grievance resolutions, and other related correspondence.
- Investigations, and administer corrective action where necessary. Participate in arbitrations and other dispute resolution processes or statutory processes
- Training and coaching on labour relations topics to enhance our workplace culture.
- Workplace investigations and mediations.
- Labour relations initiatives and project work to further enhance our workplace effectiveness.
- Conduct research and analyze data, including providing recommendations on the proper course of action.
- Collective bargaining preparation and negotiations.
- Labour relations data management processes and departmental process improvements.
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.