Labour Relations Manager
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
LABOUR RELATIONS MANAGER
Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The Company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company's commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
This is a permanent full time staff role based in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Reporting to the Director of Labour Relations, the Labour Relations Manager is part of a dynamic and fast paced Labour Relations team that deals with a broad scope of labour relations issues. We are looking for a seasoned labour relations professional who thrives in dealing with a wide diversity of workplace issues, to join our team. We want someone who will bring their energy, ideas and enthusiasm to work each day and work tirelessly to make Irving Shipbuilding an employer of choice.
- Post-secondary education in Labour Relations/Human Resources/Law with a minimum of 10 years of labour relations experience within an industrial manufacturing environment.
- Exceptional communication skills (both oral and written), including the demonstrated ability to handle challenging conversations as well as highly developed interpersonal skills necessary for effective mediations and conflict resolution
- Excellent documentation and file management skills.
- You are an intrinsically motivated professional who takes pride in quickly resolving workplace issues and disputes using a win-win approach.
- Given the expectations for labour relations team, you are flexible, adaptable and decisive.
- You are proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, Teams).
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
As a Labour Relations Manager you will:
- Administrator the terms of our Collective Agreements and advise and counsel our people leaders to ensure effective outcomes;
- Work with our union representatives to address workplace issues and jointly pursue new opportunities to develop and coach our workforce;
- Manage the grievance process to ensure the timely resolution of all issues with a view to continue to enhance our workplace culture;
- Manage our workplace programs such as attendance management, and ensure compliance with all our workplace policies and procedures;
- Investigate, oversee and administer corrective action where necessary. Participate in arbitrations and other dispute resolution processes or statutory processes;
- Effectively draft corrective action letters, workplace agreements, grievance resolutions, and other related correspondence.
- Provide labour relations, collective agreement and other training and coaching to all workplace parties to maintain a harmonious work environment;
- Conduct workplace investigations and mediations ensuring that proper documentation and reporting are occurring;
- Be involvement in labour relations initiatives, project work and collective bargaining, and;
- Contribute to Labour Relations data management processes and departmental process improvements.
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.