Multiple Openings: Business Litigation, Float, and Family.
Why BOYNECLARKE LLP?
We are a dynamic, fast-growing full-service law firm located in downtown Dartmouth, with spectacular views of the Halifax Harbour. We understand that the success and well-being of our clients and our staff is often rooted in our shared community, that is why we are deeply invested in giving back. We strengthen and support our commitment to community through various programs and initiatives, including volunteer time programs, staff-driven initiatives, and casual days that support a different staff-selected charity each month. We also understand that work-life integration, health, and wellness play an important role in staffs' ability to be successful and maintain a healthy working environment. Through financial literacy programs, fitness classes, wellness subsidy program, and committee driven initiatives, we invest in maintaining an environment that our staff can thrive in.
Why this role?
We are seeking a highly motivated, attentive and self-motivated individual to join our firm. Our ideal candidate values providing exceptional client service and is looking for a rewarding career supporting a team of staff and lawyers in providing our clients with exceptional advice and service.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
As a Legal Assistant, your responsibilities will include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for reviewing and prioritizing incoming mail, coordinate faxes and draft routine correspondence for lawyer review;
- Transcribing dictations using appropriate format, producing documents, correspondence, and all follow-up work as directed;
- Timely communication to key parties as required;
- Booking client meetings, discoveries, mediation, etc. and overall maintaining lawyer schedule and agenda;
- Client intake, conflict searches and opening new client files;
- Answer client inquiries when possible;
- Take care of drop in clients/cold calls;
- Set court appearances in lawyer's calendar and paralegal's calendar when directed, including setting up all reminder B/F's for filing Briefs, Affidavits, Financial Disclosure, etc.
- Maintaining up to date client files, both paper and electronic with the use of in-house document management system;
- Maintaining close contact with the court and supervising lawyer with respect to ongoing proceedings;
- Processing large volumes of documents, with ability to use technology to store and organize files diligently;
Qualifications and Skills
To be successful, you possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Graduate of a legal assistant/paralegal program or equivalent combination of training and experience;
- Strong competency in the usage of MS Office (particularly Word and Outlook), paired with superior typing and dictatranscription skills;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service including patience, empathy and understanding;
- Excellent analytical skills with attention to detail, coupled with strong organizational and time management skills;
- Excellent proofreading skills (ability to check typed material for grammatical, typographical, spelling, word usage and formatting errors);
- The ability to work independently, follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative - this includes drafting standard letters for review;
- The ability to work in a team environment as well as a willingness to learn and contribute to the team.