Structural Project Manager Calgary, AB 04/06/2019
WSP in Calgary, AB
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
The Calgary Buildings Structures Engineering Group is currently pursuing a Structural Project Manager to join our Calgary, AB office. This person is excited about the world of buildings, has a diverse background of relevant experience to draw from and is driven to make a positive impact within our group and for our clients. Innovation in design and solutions from proposals through to constructed projects will be a pillar of their attitude. As a Global multi-disciplinary firm, the new member would have extensive opportunity and resources to develop their career, as well as contribute in expanding the depth and influence of WSP.
- You will gain an understanding of the team culture, strengths and work processes and with guidance from team management and others integrate yourself in to the team thus multiplying your strengths and gifts in positively building the overall team and your own career;
- We will pursue noteworthy projects through your collaboration with our internal team to create compelling, winning proposals in response to requests for our amazing services;
- You will bring your solutions-based personality to manage projects and coordinate with clients and other disciplines;
- You will plan, execute and control the project through all phases from initial feasibility through preliminary design/definition, detailed design, and construction;
- Succeed in project performance (technical performance and/or production organization, on internal or external projects) with direct responsibility for service delivery and/or technical quality to the client;
- Your supervision and integration within the project team will drive the overall project progress to achieve top performance from yourself, personnel and exceptional deliverables. You will provide coaching to junior engineers and technical staff assigned to specific task, mentoring them from experience and your continued self-driven learning.
- You will check work of assigned staff, suppliers and contractors for accuracy and conformance with WSP national standards. Your input regarding personnel performance will be provided regularly to your Team Manager;
- With the support of a senior principal engineer, you will bring your broad field of engineering and practical knowledge to perform varied engineering assignments, assessments, and reports, taking responsibility as a Professional Engineer for the design and completion of the project;
- With the combination of standard procedures, carefully considered modifications of standard procedures or incorporating previous methods you have developed, you will bring value in the solutions to problems;
- Through your inner initiative, you will use judgment to resolve problems, interpret engineering specifications, delve into the investigation of design and field engineering challenges and coordinate work schedules;
- Clients and team mates will look to you for recommendations when changes in plans are needed, cost estimates are required and when you recommend payment for properly completed work;
- As you are driven to ensure all angles are covered, you will collaborate with your associates in other departments to discuss and advise on project requirements;
- Consult with suppliers or contractors to interpret specifications or other contract criteria;
- You are a forward-thinking professional, who develops your work plan in alignment with the client's needs and ensures you and your team consistently meet agreed targets and standards, as well as positive project budget performance;
- Your friendly demeanour quickly helps you develop and maintain key client relationships effectively, and you are often recommended by clients to others for your services;
- Perform engineering calculations and assessments for steel, concrete, masonry, and wood structures;
- Other duties as assigned; and
- Occasional travel within Canada for site assessments and site support
- Has a devoted inner drive to provide the best innovative solutions for every project no matter how big or small;
- Gets excited by exceeding client expectations;
- Has a holistic mindset in approaching proposals, projects and problems;
- Is motivated by working with people, whether internal collaboration or with external clients;
- Has a strong network of contacts including clients, especially in the private sector;
- Continuously curious and strives to be a life long learner, gathering knowledge and understanding about various aspects of the construction industry;
- Loves to share knowledge, experience and expertise with others to assist, mentor and coach others in their development and abilities;
- Driven to complete all tasks to best of their abilities;
- Consistently demonstrates Project Management experience;
- Experience in the design of new and renovation projects for a variety of project types including Institutional (schools, data centres, prisons), Commercial (offices, retail stores, mixed use), Residential (low/high-rise multi-family), Transportation (LRT, maintenance facilities, transit facilities), Health Care (hospitals, laboratories), and Light Industrial is required;
- Brings significant understanding and working knowledge of other building disciplines and fields of engineering and how they interact with Structures;
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Structural Engineering;
- Registered Professional Engineer with the APEGA;
- 8+ years of similar relevant experience;
- Excellent knowledge of structural theory, the National Building Code of Canada, Alberta Building Code and Canadian design standards (concrete, structural steel, wood, masonry)
- Seismic analysis and design experience an asset;
- Experience as a prime consultant as well as a sub-consultant working with Architects desirable;
- Proficiency in ETABS, SAFE, and RamSteel an asset;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.