Structural Engineer (Retail/Industrial) Markham, ON 04/06/2019
WSP in Markham, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
WSP is currently seeking a Structural Engineer to join our Structural Engineering Group, located at our Markham office. Reporting to the Senior Director of the Structural Engineering Department this position will be responsible for working with multi-disciplinary teams to take innovative design solutions from proposals through to constructed projects for clients specific to our retail/industrial sector.
- Support one or more department Project Managers on all required design and construction-related structural engineering scope on multiple projects
- Perform engineering calculations and assessments for structures composed of various materials including: Steel, Concrete, Masonry, and Wood;
- Utilize engineering software in the analysis of structural building components
- Manage and coordinate projects with clients and other disciplines;
- Provide guidance to junior engineers and technical staff. Check work of assigned staff for accuracy and conformance with standards. Provide performance information to Team Manager as required
- Manage time spent on design tasks to meet established project-specific workplans.
- Manage multiple project tasks and design deadlines at once.
- Respond to client request for proposals;
- Write technical reports;
- Edit specifications to suit project-specific requirements
- Work closely with BIM staff to coordinate drawing preparation
- Participate in national practice technical initiatives, as required
- Keep detailed records of all work including design calculations and models
- Occasional travel within Canada on occasion for site assessments and site support;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Structural Engineering;
- Registered Professional Engineer with the PEO;
- 5-15 years of experience;
- Working knowledge of all applicable local and national building codes and standards;
- Design experience should be buildings focused and include relevant experience in commercial (offices, retail stores, retail, high-rise) and light industrial (low-rise warehouses, distribution centres);
- Should have general working knowledge of other building disciplines;
- A successful candidate will have a solid technical background with proficiency in the major structural software suites used (ETABS, SAFE, and RamSteel) combined with a strong portfolio of design work on buildings projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Seismic analysis and design experience is an asset;
- Project management experience an asset;
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.