Project Controls Lead Thornhill, ON 04/06/2019
WSP in Thornhill, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
THORNHILL or VANCOUVER
WSP is currently seeking a Project Controls Lead, located at our Vancouver or Thornhill office. Reporting to the Transportation National Business Line, this position will be responsible for project controls functions to support alternative delivery of major pursuits and projects.
- Apply expert knowledge and advanced experience regarding the overall project/business Project Control processes;
- Coordinate with other Project Management Office team members to ensure efficient implementation of governance requirements;
- May oversee team made up of cost control, document control, and scheduling professionals;
- Interfaces with technical, finance, accounting, and legal professionals;
- Support the AD business development teams in RFQ, RFP and bid development process by providing input in the schedule and fee development;
- Support the Project Management team in project execution in the development of control budgets and project timelines (from roadmaps to detailed contractor input);
- Identify deliverables, assign budgets and check/controls points to those deliverables. Provide progress information against checkpoints, calculate earned hours and progress (percent complete);
- Use of Earned Value methods for forecasting for project costs to determine EAC. Implement methods of effective progress measurement based on the size and complexity of projects;
- Timely identification, notification, resolution, and recording of deviations from agreed / baseline plan (scope, man-hours, cost, and schedule) including trending on items that have a potential for future impact within project scope;
- Provide analysis and complete estimates to corporate/senior management, project management, and client for action planning;
- Seeks Project Manager approval for changes to baseline/estimates and new forecasted dates/performance;
- Responsible for Change Management, reporting of all project exposures pending, approved and rejected;
- Responsible to support project Quality program implementation and auditing;
- Ensure capture of all possible cost categories and changes to quantity, man-hours, unit price, cost, third party cost requirements, delays, and schedule impacts;
- Responsible to ensure timely submissions for technical and project management deliverables are issued as scheduled;
- Participates in identifying and evaluating project risks to enable the highest level assessment of company exposure; take pre-emptive actions as agreed to mitigate identified and targeted risks;
- Follows up on the evolution of risks and continued exposure to Corporate;
- Provide information to the client, project team, and corporate management for enterprise and portfolio reporting. Reports and offers updates of actual man-hours and invoiced, incurred, physical progress, forecast to complete, key and/or critical issues, and scheduled achievements relative to the status of the project;
- Reviews project invoices and interfaces with the Project Accounting / Billing teams and organize corrections for correct collection of revenues;
- Negotiate and ensure contractual obligations are being met; win-win solutions are the goal for all client relations;
- Ensure sufficient project cost, planning & scheduling resources and document control resources are in place to execute the project;
- Capable of operating with a high degree of latitude, exercising independent judgment within the corporate framework;
- Supports Project Manager to manage client expectations and coach others to develop and maintain effective relationships with clients;
- Implementation of project controls procedures and promotes leadership in continuous improvement by offering ways to improve existing systems and,
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree desirable (engineering / technical, project management, finance or business preferred);
- 5-9 years of advanced experience regarding the overall project/business Project Control processes;
- Prior experience with bid/pursuit and execution of Alternative Delivery (AD) transportation projects (P3/AFP);
- Strong management experience, and ability to manage a high performing team;
- Understand the evolution of complex engineering/construction projects;
- Adaptability and flexibility including the ability to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change;
- Ability to multi-task, work on several projects or tasks at once, manage time, organize, and set priorities;
- Strong organizational skills and interpersonal skills as the role requires continuous interaction with team members;
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal, including report writing, editing, and proofreading abilities.
- PMP certification, knowledge of PMBOK or Project Management education an asset;
- ISO Lead Auditor certification an asset;
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.