Intermediate Scheduler/Planner Calgary, AB 04/06/2019
WSP in Calgary, AB
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
WSP is currently seeking a Scheduler / Planner, based out of our Calgary office. Reporting to the Transportation National Business Line, this position will support the Project Manager in the development of the engineering schedule, participate in baselining the project schedule, implementing Earned Value reporting and compiling schedule variance reports for pursuits and projects delivered through alternative delivery mode in Transportation Infrastructure (Rail & Transit and Highways & Bridges). This position will also support basic cost control functions and assist with preparing cost reports, forecasts and analysis forecasts
- Creation of work packages with engineering / design Discipline Leads to execute the work according to the Master Scope Document;
- Interface within different design disciplines to ensure scope obligations are covered for deliverables being planned and within required timeframes;
- Implementation of the WBS within the schedule to compliment Cost Management activities;
- Develop and maintain Level 1, 2 and 3 resource-loaded schedules for engineering activities and interfacing with construction or other activities as required;
- Assuming responsibility for assessing the accuracy of engineering / design schedules for all project disciplines;
- Prepare schedule reports for Project Team regarding project activities and produce consolidated progress reports and analysis;
- Provide technical support and work collaboratively with Discipline Leads and clients to ensure that the project schedule is updated according to the Project Management Plan;
- Review Contractor schedules to ensure work can reasonably be accomplished to support fast-tracked construction;
- Baselining of schedule and ability to perform critical path analysis to determine and communicate priorities to the Project Team;
- Plan staffing to ensure necessary resources are available and appropriately assigned to complete the required agreed scope:
- Timely identification, notification, resolution and recording of deviations from current plan including items that have potential for future impact within project scope;
- Provide up to date forecasts of the staffing requirements to complete projects based on the latest forecasts and schedules;
- Evaluate status of the project schedule, provide most accurate Project Forecast ensuring inclusion of schedule impacts due to changes as the project evolves;
- Ability to track impacts of changes within the schedule;
- Report and graph updates of actual man-hours, physical progress, forecast to complete, key and/or critical issues and scheduled achievements relative to the status of the project;
- Prepare weekly/monthly cost, reports, forecasts and analysist forecasts;
- Analyze project progress to develop variance reports that quantify changes from the baseline schedule;
- Ability to perform simple What-If analysis or delay tracking for potential claims;
- Ability to run risk analysis on the schedule and determine time contingency;
- Ensure all project/discipline related risks are raised; record risk items, update, and provide input to the risk register;
- Ability to work with Contractors to integrate schedules to required level of detail;
- Assisting in the presentation of project progress and scheduling requirements to contractors / Project Co, Project Sponsors and Project Owners;
- Understanding of cost control functions (prepare forecasts, cost trend reports and monitor cost and budget;
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- 6 - 9 years' relevant experience as a Scheduler / Planner
- Strong experience and understanding of the development of complex engineering- construction projects;
- Strong experience and abilities with Microsoft Project and Primavera P6 is required;
- Experience on Major Transportation projects ($100MM+ CAPEX), or in a Design-Build project environment incorporating fast-track project delivery considered a strong asset;
- Strong experience and abilities analyzing the effect of schedule performance on project completion is required;
- Intermediate understanding of financial principles relating to cost and budget;
- Strong data manipulation skills;
- Strong attention to detail is required;
- Strong experience and abilities multitasking and prioritizing in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong experience and ability to evaluate schedule robustness as well as running run evaluation software to incorporate time contingency; and,
- Excellent verbal / written communication skills as well as effective interpersonal skills.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.