Materials and Geotechnical Technologist Saskatoon, SK 04/06/2019
WSP in Saskatoon, SK
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
WSP is currently seeking a Materials and Geotechnical Technologist to join our Regional Roads team, located at our Saskatoon office. Reporting to the Area Manager this position will be responsible for lab supervision, materials testing and geotechnical duties.
- Oversee and maintain existing CCiL certification requirements;
- Oversee the completion of CCiL certification applications and training for further CCiL certifications;
- Oversee and direct, as required, various laboratory tests according to the applicable standards; including soils, asphalt, aggregates and concrete testing,
- Oversee the preparation of mix designs,
- Assist senior materials and engineering staff and provide training to junior staff
- Prepare and/or review laboratory and field reports,
- Prepare and assist with the preparation of cost estimates and proposals,
- Oversee various field drilling and sampling projects,
- Assist with the preparation of various geotechnical reports,
- Provide technical support, information, and coordination with other Transportation offices,
- Provide field-level support for civil works projects as required,
- Maintain awareness of technical developments and advancements in materials testing procedures
- Graduation from a Civil Engineering College or University with a minimum of 7 years Saskatchewan or other Provincial experience within Canada,
- Familiarity with and relevant experience working in a CCiL certified laboratory,
- Demonstrable experience with CCiL certification requirements and relevant certification applications,
- In-depth experience and knowledge of aggregate, soils and asphalt testing,
- Concrete testing experience will be considered an asset, but not mandatory,
- Computer literate with a working knowledge of applicable software,
- Demonstrable experience applying materials testing knowledge in the road and highway construction industry,
- Self-starter with high energy willing to work in a fast-paced team environment,
- Organized and able to handle diverse assignments concurrently,
- Demonstrable supervisory skills,
- Valid driver's license, Minimum Class 5,
- Some travel will be required.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.