Electrical Engineer / Technologist Ottawa, ON 04/06/2019
WSP in Ottawa, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
WSP is currently seeking an Electrical Engineer or Technologist to join our Buildings - Mechanical and Electrical , located at our Ottawa, ON office. Reporting to the manager in Ottawa, this position will be responsible for:
- Electrical design of power distribution, control, communication, lighting, fire alarm and security systems for industrial, commercial, institutional and municipal sectors;
- Technical calculations and software used for lighting analyses, load calculations, arc flash, fault & coordination studies, power system design;
- On-site electrical research, construction audits, field reviews;
- Writing detailed and concise technical reports, feasibility studies, proposals, including written responses and instructions as required during all project phases;
- Conducting all tasks in cooperation with internal clients and other engineering disciplines;
- Managing and enhancing client relationships;
- Manage projects from proposal to construction completion.
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- 5-7 years' experience designing electrical systems for buildings and industrial facilities including power distribution, lighting, life safety and communications;
- Excellent working knowledge with AutoCAD and Revit MEP software is preferable;
- Ability to work independently to deliver comprehensive designs and contracts, often with demanding timelines;
- University Degree or 2-year Electrical Technologist diploma from an accredited Canadian Technical Institute;
- Experience in Institutional (schools, data centers, prisons), Transportation (maintenance facilities, roadway lighting, traffic control), Health Care (hospitals, laboratories), and Infrastructure (port facilities, HV distribution) is very desirable;
- Experience creating tender document packages with drawings and specifications;
- Experience with utility companies, authorities having jurisdiction, and applicable codes, standards and work practices;
- Exemplary interpersonal skills with team members and clients;
- Good initiative, attention to detail;
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Good working knowledge of MS Office;
- Good organizational skills, fast learner;
- Reputation for meeting or exceeding expectations
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.